Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't open PNG file saved from MS Paint.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Can't open PNG file saved from MS Paint.

Hello,

I can't open the attached 2.png with IrfanView 4.40 64-bit on Windows 10 64-bit Build 10240.

To create 2.png I opened the attached 1.png (which Irfanview displays just fine) with Windows 10's MS Paint, CTRL+A, arrowed up a bit then pulled up the bottom border and saved it as 2.png.

2.png is viewable with Firefox, Edge, IE, etc. Irfanview can open other PNG files I save with MSPaint, just not this one.

Brian

Edit: My Irfanview won't open the attached 2.png if I download it from the forum.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Slim Backwater; 26.10.2015, 08:58 PM.

Saving 2.png from FastStone Capture enables it to open in IrfanView.

Opening it in Opera 12.17 then opening that in IrfanView also works fine.

This looks like a bug in MS Paint.
    Attached Files
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The main difference that I can see is that 1.png is a simple 24-bit image (or 8-bit per channel), and that 2.png also has the alpha channel added, as bhikkhu Pesala's (BP) re-saved version does. There are some metadata differences between ver. 2 and ver.2BP, but even deleting all metadata did not make IV capable to open the 2.png file. I also was not able to find another image viewer, incapable to display 2.png. So it might be an IV bug, or, perhaps, a change in Irfan's policy, refusing non-standard-compliant formats. If this is reproducible - I don't have Windows 10 -, I would send a sample to the developer.
      IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Code:
        >pngcheck 2.png
        2.png  invalid sBIT length
        ERROR: 2.png
        IV 4.56 32-bit

Comment

This is the part of metadata from 2.png, absent in 2BP.png:

Code:
          Significant Bits                : 8 8 8
          SRGB Rendering                  : Perceptual