Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Agony of Accidental Ctrl-B: "Browse Subfolders"!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pending The Agony of Accidental Ctrl-B: "Browse Subfolders"!

I'm surprised my search on this subject turned up nothing but I've just lost another half-hour of my life editing an image in Irfan View because, when I thought I was pasting that final touch-up using Crtl-V, I once again hit Ctrl-B -- yes, right next to the paste key sequence, Ctrl-V.

The piss of it is that the popup for Ctrl-B has a "Cancel" button which should be the end of the problem and should return you to your current screen the way you left it when you accidentally hit Ctrl-B, but NO! the !@#$%! Cancel button reloads the last-saved version of the image you were working on and you lose EVERYTHING you did since the last save.

And no, nothing else you can do will save your current image once you hit Ctrl-B -- neither dismissing the dialog by hitting the X button nor the "use Folder" option will save you -- try it if you don't believe me.

Technically this may or may not be a bug, depending on whether the software spec said "Cancel" should always return the user to the status quo ante, but it sure BUGS ME!

Anybody else bothered by this? Thanks for letting me vent my feelings.

--RBlan

Agreed, that's a bit naughty. If not a bug, it does seem rather odd to reload the image.

To work around it, before closing the browse folders dialogue you can open another instance of IrfanView and paste your changes there.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by RBlan View Post
      I'm surprised my search on this subject turned up nothing ...
      ... Anybody else bothered by this? Thanks for letting me vent my feelings.

--RBlan
      Commiserations, RBlan. To answer your question, I don't remember hitting CTRL+B in my life, be it in Irfanview or elsewhere. - I'm hitting CTRL+C instead of CTRL+V once in a while, but never B.

I hadn't known about this shortcut in IV either.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Another workaround is to open the files using drag and drop, which was a feature introduced in v4.40. When you do that then Ctrl+B does not work.

In case you have not discovered the feature, just open the folder you want in Windows Explorer and highlight as many of the files as you want using the usual Ctrl+click, Shift+click, or Ctrl+A selection methods. Then click down on the top selected file and drag the whole lot onto your IV shortcut or into an empty IV window. The files are loaded "as a list" (the same as using the "/filelist=" option from a Command line) and in that mode Ctrl+B is inoperative.
        Last edited by Mij; 04.12.2015, 08:06 PM. Reason: Deleted last line. If you drop a single file it opens the whole folder and Ctrl+B does work.

Comment

To be honest, if I reported this as a bug, I would expect a reply from Irfan along the lines of, "Users should be more careful."

In my opinion, the way to go is to allow users to customise the keyboard shortcuts I suggest sending an email to Ifan (Help, About) explaining your problem, and see what he says.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

1) Ctrl-B (browse subfolders) makes a reload on cancel

Yes, it really was a pain, I had the same experience.
            I mailed our Ctrl-B problem to Irfan Skiljan two days ago and he fixed it yesterday. The fix will be rolled out in the next update (4.55).
            Nice: I received a test.zip installation today (30.01.2020) and it works fine.

What a pity, the same thing happens with
            2) Ctrl-W (start slide show) runs like crazy, difficult to stop, BTW speed setting with lowercase w (slide show menue)
            3) shift+r (Reopen) no save modification warning, though canceling is the intention of this key (like in vi :e!)
            4) shift+a (Start/Stop automated viewing) starts immediately!
            5) lowercase d (Clear Display) has no undo!!!
            but Irfan won't fix it (so far).
            Hanno

Comment

Thanks for your efforts in reporting the bug and registering to let us know. Please attach the ZIP test file to a post so that other users can benefit from the fix.

Comment

Working...
              X