Thread: A Video Editor as Good and Intuitive as Irfanview?

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.25
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Pro SP3
    CPU Cores

Question A Video Editor as Good and Intuitive as Irfanview?

I'm looking for the VIDEO EDITOR and RECORDER equivalent of Irfanview. (A forum search shows no one has asked that yet.) I'm thinking "to be like Irfanview" it should be as reliable in results, intuitive in action, contain the right options and features, and have a moderate learning curve. It should NOT be like Vegas (a Photoshop monster equivalent for video). It should NOT be like Windows Movie Maker (almost a kid's toy... an often broken one).

If you have suggestions, don't just throw out a pile of prog titles. I'd like to hear your review of how well it works. Can I pick up the basics in an hour and some advanced features in a day? Will the saved results, in widely used formats, play properly on common viewers, like Windows Media Player, VLC and, of course, Irfanview?

Bonus if the editor has versions that work on legacy OS: Windows (XP and newer), Macs (OS X ver. 2 and newer) and Linux kernels from 2.4 on.

Version
    IrfanView 4.44
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

I use FastStone Capture to record my FontCreator tutorial videos. Nothing to do with camera files, just recording what happens on the screen. Sound can be recorded too, but I don't have a microphone so mine lack any sound track.

• This feature works on Windows XP, 2003, Vista and 2008 (Download Page) $20 shareware

Version
    IrfanView 4.42
    OS
    32-bit Win 8 Pro
    CPU Cores

I realize it's an old thread, but here are my suggestions:

For creating a video from a picture and a sound, I use LUNLUN70 (which is a software I created, that can create such a video with one click - no questions asked).

For recording my (screencast) videos, I use BB FlashBack Express Recorder (version 4.1.3 - I use this version and not the newest one, because the newest one has a black background, which I can't change, and it hurts my eyes).

http://www.flashbackrecorder.com/express
    It's free even for commercial use. This aspect is important to me, as I sell / monetize with AdSense the videos I create. The license is the help file, in the "licensing" section:
    "You can use movies created by BB FlashBack Express for all purposes personal or commercial, with no royalties payable to Blueberry Software."

You can learn to use it in less than 15 minutes.

For processing my videos, I use VirtualDub (version 1.9.11).
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/vir.../1.10.4.35491/
    This too is free for commercial use (has a GPL license).

You can learn to use it in less than 15 minutes, if you know basic video processing terms (like "keyframe").

Both work for Window 8, and I'm almost sure they work on older versions of Windows.

If you need any help with any of them, or if you'd like additional details, please tell me.

Sergiu Funieru

Version
    IrfanView 4.44
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by Sergiu Funieru View Post
    I realize it's an old thread, but here are my suggestions:

For creating a video from a picture and a sound, I use LUNLUN70 (which is a software I created, that can create such a video with one click - no questions asked).
    Usually, I just ban spammers, no questions asked. Your post has the hallmarks of spam as you apparently found this old thread from a Google search. However, we do allow users to recommend freeware or other products if they have no commercial interest in the product. If your software is freeware, I will let your post remain. Otherwise, it will have to go as you are the software's author and profit from its promotion.

§7: Advertisement

All members must refrain from using the forum for advertising purposes!

Version
    IrfanView 4.42
    OS
    32-bit Win 8 Pro
    CPU Cores

>>> Usually, I just ban spammers, no questions asked.
    First of all, thank you for giving me the benefit of the doubt. I appreciate it!

>>> Your post has the hallmarks of spam as you apparently found this old thread from a Google search.
    Here's how I got here.

I am a long time IrfanView user, and I use it every day. I even bought a paid license for it, something many my friends told me I shouldn't have done, as it's freeware. Yes, it's freeware, but if I want to use it for commercial use, the fair thing to do is to pay for the (very affordable) license.

I love automating things, and one of the first I did in this regard was to use AHK to asking shortcuts to keys that didn't have native shortcuts. Today, I wanted to see how others solved this problem. I found some threads, but, so far, I didn't see an actual AHK script that can open the current file in MsPaint or open the current folder with one key.

I registered to be able to post such a script, and to be able to answer to anyone interested in knowing how to use such script and to modify it to his/her needs. I've seen "use AHK to do this and that" but I haven't seen an actual script to do certain things some user asked for, like "disable all default IrfanView shortcuts."

I posted one thread about something that I personally use and find useful, then I started to look around in the "Software" section. The only thread I could contribute something useful was this very one I'm wring on now.

"Can I pick up the basics in an hour" - these very words of the original poster motivated me to write a reply to it, sharing what I work with personally, and what is free even for commercial use. Those words motivated me so much that I was willing to answer to an old post. As long that the system allowed me to reply, I assumed that it would be okay, if I can provide an answer to the original question. If there is a rule against replying to old posts, please tell me, and I promise to follow it next time.

>>> However, we do allow users to recommend freeware or other products if they have no commercial interest in the product.
    I totally agree and understand this. The 2 pieces of software I recommended were both free (and are not created by me).

>>> If your software is freeware, I will let your post remain.
    My software is a script. In my opinion, all scripts are software too, but for some people the word "script" is too complicated, thus I prefer to use "software" instead.

LUNLUN70 is freeware, but it's not yet available for download. I need to fix a problem with it : the sound stream is a few milliseconds longer than the video stream, and I haven't figured out why.
    When it will be ready, I might post a link to it in my signature, but I'm not sure. LUNLUN70 is not related directly to IrfanView, but it was related to the post I replied to it.

>>> Otherwise, it will have to go as you are the software's author and profit from its promotion.
    I understand your position, but I have no intention of pushing LUNLUN70 here. My intention is to provide some AHK scripts directly related to IrfanView, to anyone wanting them. Freeware, with no strings attached, as in "direct download, free to use even for commercial purposes, no email sign-up needed."

May I ask you for a favor? Please edit/delete any of my posts, as any time, if you believe something is not in line with the rules.

As far as I've seen, there are no reputation points or likes/dislikes on this forum. If my posts will not receive any reactions, of any kind, it will mean to me that they are not appropriate, and I'll cease posting.

I had a forum myself once, and I've never met a spammer who would go to these lengths to try to persuade a moderator that he's not a spammer. If would help, I could send you, by PM, my profile from other forums, where I'm older than 1 day. I do care about my reputation, and when something is not the same as it appears, please tell me, like you did, and I'll do my best to clarify it.

Thank you,
    Sergiu Funieru

Version
    IrfanView 4.44
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

[B]>>>
    I love automating things, and one of the first I did in this regard was to use AHK to asking shortcuts to keys that didn't have native shortcuts. Today, I wanted to see how others solved this problem. I found some threads, but, so far, I didn't see an actual AHK script that can open the current file in MsPaint or open the current folder with one key.

I registered to be able to post such a script, and to be able to answer to anyone interested in knowing how to use such script and to modify it to his/her needs. I've seen "use AHK to do this and that" but I haven't seen an actual script to do certain things some user asked for, like "disable all default IrfanView shortcuts."
    Sergiu, have you discovered the "Working scripts" section of "Command lines and scripts" on the forum. It is mainly Derniwi posting Batch file scripts and a few Visual Basic ones from me, but I am sure that a thread containing your AHK scripts would be welcomed there.

Version
    IrfanView 4.42
    OS
    32-bit Win 8 Pro
    CPU Cores

>>> but I am sure that a thread containing your AHK scripts would be welcomed there.
    Thank you for the invitation!

I was debating with myself where to post it, as the questions to which my script would answer are in other sections. For instance, I want to post a script that will answer some of the posts from this thread:
    https://irfanview-forum.de/showthrea...ght=autohotkey

This is another example : https://irfanview-forum.de/showthread.php?t=10626 (how to open the current folder with just one key, different than the default key combination).

Do you think posting the AHK script in the script section, then linking to it in other threads, like the one above, would be a good idea? I'm not sure if the ones interested in the thread mentioned above would look also on the scripts sections. What is the best way to notify them, please?

Sergiu Funieru
    Last edited by Sergiu Funieru; 08.07.2016 at 08:20 PM.

Version
    IrfanView 4.44
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

May I ask you for a favor? Please edit/delete any of my posts, as any time, if you believe something is not in line with the rules.
    I would do that anyway, but since I was doubtful about your intentions for posting here I had to ask.

I don't want to put off IrfanView fans who are helpful to other users, but I am wary of users with an agenda to push their products here with signature links, etc. Even freeware often provides an income stream by other means, as it turns out to be nagware to upgrade to paid-for products. I share my own free OpenType fonts without any strings attached, apart from expecting users to respect the license conditions.

You are right to pay for IrfanView. It's only €10 for commercial use after all, which is very inexpensive. I try to remember to state the license conditions when I recommend it on other forums. Too many users assume that it is free for any kind of use.

Version
    IrfanView 4.42
    OS
    32-bit Win 8 Pro
    CPU Cores

>>> I don't want to put off IrfanView fans who are helpful to other users, but I am wary of users with an agenda to push their products here with signature links, etc.
    On other forums I've been, they enabled signature links after 30 posts or more. Yahoo Answers enables links after 300 posts, if I remember correctly (after Level 3 - Level 2 is no longer enough).

>>> Even freeware often provides an income stream by other means, as it turns out to be nagware to upgrade to paid-for products.
    Most of my freeware is freeware, with no strings attached. Some of my freeware needs registration, but registration is free.

My only paid products are video courses, and even then I usually provide a lot of free videos from those courses. I plan, in time, to get my free video tutorials on the IrfanView official page as well - especially the videos about AHK and about restoring receipts using IrfanView. I need to make sure first if the video tutorials listed there don't already have what I want to discuss.

I like very much IrfanView! So much that all my friends now have it, even if they didn't hear about it before. A lot of times when they asked me for certain operations (like rotating a picture so the text becomes horizontal), I recommended IrfanView to them. Without only 1 thing they couldn't do with IrfanView so far (which is opening 1GB pictures fast enough or at all), they're quite satisfied with it. So satisfied that it became the default picture viewer for them.

Spamming in general is out of question for me - there are honest ways to get traffic. But spamming a forum that discusses a topic I like very much would hurt the very community of people who feel the same as me toward IrfanView, and that would be a far greater loss than some visits to my site.

If no one will object, may I post some links to unlisted YouTube videos I create about AHK and IrfanView? I will not monetize those particular videos, so there will be no suspicions of foul play. The reasons I ask is that, in my opinion, videos are best to describe certain actions.

Sergiu Funieru

In terms of video editor, I know a simple but wonderful and free program you can try - Convert MP3 to AAC.

Both editing videos with some features like merging, effects, cropping, adding subtitle etc., as well as converting videos/audios are available.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 17.01.2017 at 10:24 AM.

Thread Information