Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wrong range of image selection (thumbnail window)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bug Wrong range of image selection (thumbnail window)

1.Thumbnails window
    2.dbl click on image / open
    3.move to the next with right arrow key ....
    4. change focus to Thumbnails window, last image under 3 is selected
    5.SHIFT + click on next image to the right

One wouuld expect 2 images are selected, instead random range of images are selected.

v. 4.40 32 bit.

The range of images is not random. It extends from where you first clicked on a thumbnail (in step 2) to where you now Shift+click (in step 5), which you could well argue is what it should do.
    The highlighted thumbnail in step 4 just shows which image is being displayed currently in the Viewer window. If you want to select that thumbnail as the start of a range then clearly you need to click on it when you return to the Thumbnail window in step 4. You can then Shift+click on the next thumbnail, or wherever you want the range to extend to, and get what you expected to see.
    In fact the current behaviour can be useful. If you Shift+click on the highlighted thumbnail when you return in step 4 you highlight all the images that you looked at while away in the Viewer window.
    Last edited by Mij; 24.03.2016, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Mij. I didn't have time to test this yesterday, but yes, it's working as designed, so no bug.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Then, mybe:
        That highlighted should be somewhat different colored (I would suggest red) as normal selected , as it is in fact not selected at all.
        Last edited by BubikolRamios; 26.03.2016, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Highlighted is shown as different to Selected. The blue line around it is narrower.

If in step 5 of your instructions above you hold down the Ctrl key instead of Shift you will see that on pressing down the left mouse button the Highlighted thumbnail changes to Selected. When you release the mouse button the thumbnail you clicked on is Selected too. So the final Extended Selection from that operation is what you would expect, but only because the Ctrl+Click Selection Extend operation is held back until mouse button release. That gives the program the opportunity to determine first that a new window has been activated, second which modifier keys are being held down and third that no drag and drop action is taking place.

I am sure that Irfan has a good reason for not holding back the Shift+Click Selection Extend operation until mouse button release. It may be that someone requested that it works the way it does. As I pointed out before, how it works at present can be useful.

It may also be so that you can extend the selection and drag all the newly selected thumbnails to another location in a single Shift+Click mouse operation. You will find that a penalty of delaying the selection until mouse button release is that you cannot do that for a Ctrl+Click mouse operation.

Comment

Point beeing: at this point the highliht should be 'thin border' as you describe (I'v seen that at some point so I know how it looks). It is not, clicking it does not change highlight in any way, but status turns to selected.

Comment

Yes, you do have a point. Actually it does depend on how you pass focus from the Viewer to the Thumbnails window.

My way. Click on a blank area in the thumbnail pane to get the focus. The current image indicator remains Highlighted with a thin border, just like it was when the Viewer window had the focus.

Your way. Click on the Thumbnails Caption bar, use the Tab key or just close the Viewer window. The current image indicator shows as Selected with the wider border.
              I think there is an argument that if the window is shown as Selected then it should indeed be the one that is selected.

Although remaining highlighted may be confusing, it is consistent. Try this;
              1. Select a Thumbnail by clicking on it.
              2. Hold down Shift and click on another to Select a range of thumbnails.
              3. Now click on a blank area of the thumbnail pane. Just the last selected thumbnail is shown highlighted.
              4. Hold down Shift and click another thumbnail. The range from the first one you selected to the one you just clicked on is now shown as selected.

If you think that is not how it should be then try doing the same thing with a folder of thumbnails in Windows Explorer.

Comment

Just note:

Your way. Click on the Thumbnails Caption bar
                equals: select thumbnails icon in windows taskbar

which I allway do, since there are to many windows opened, so I'm unable direct:
                My way. Click on a blank area in the thumbnail pane
                Last edited by BubikolRamios; 30.03.2016, 03:16 AM.

Comment

I use cascaded windows generally which is why I am often clicking on the bottom right corner of a window to bring it to the front.

In Irfanview though the Tab key is king. You can always switch between the Viewer window and the associated Thumbnails window by pressing Tab, however many other windows are open and even if the Viewer window is in Fullscreen mode. You can have more than one instance of Irfanview and you can open a Thumbnails window for each of them by pressing T. Every instance will switch between the Viewer window and its own Thumbnails window when you press Tab. If you need to switch to another Viewer instance or its Thumbnails window and you cannot click on it, then you are back to using Alt+Tab or the Windows Taskbar.

However I am getting off topic. I agreed that the behaviour you are reporting in your first post #1 is not consistent with the display of a Single selected thumbnail. It would be consistent with an Extended block of thumbnails stretching from the first one clicked on (in your step 2) to the one that was Highlighted in the Thumbnails window prior to returning the focus to that window (in your step 4). Either the Single or Extended selection is consistent with the Highlighted display of a single thumbnail when the window is not showing the selection (as I attempted to show in my last post #7). That only ever shows the last chosen thumbnail.

So if we want to refer the issue to Irfan, we need to decide if it important to know the point where we started displaying images from in step 2. If it is, then the Extended selection is what we should see when we return to the Thumbnails Window. If not, then the Single selected thumbnail is fine but the start position has to be cleared from memory by some means. We may be told that is difficult to do.

Comment

Working...
                  X