Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotations not saved

I have Irfanview v4.42 64 bit.
    I can rotate an image (either right or left) in the program but when saved it saves still in its unrotated format.
    I've tried saving in original folder and also as 'save as' but it still won't save the rotation.
    Any advice appreciated.
    http://www.angelfire.com/trek/nz_usa

Try stripping the Exif data during the save (if you don't need it). That will also reduce the file size a bit.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      Try stripping the Exif data during the save (if you don't need it). That will also reduce the file size a bit.
      Thanks! I unchecked exif data and that fixed it. But what is exif data? Is it required for some things?
      http://www.angelfire.com/trek/nz_usa

Comment

Originally posted by Geo. View Post
        But what is exif data? Is it required for some things?
        Exif data in a picture may contain camera-written shooting information (including rotation info) and lots of other things, like geolocation, camera owner etc. Together with camera maker specific and software added data (XMP and rather outdated IPTC) it makes searching and filtering your image collection possible. When publishing images on internet, deleting some personal information is advisable.

For more information:

The IPTC Photo Metadata Standard is the most widely used standard to describe photos. It consists of two schemas – IPTC Core and IPTC Extension.

Have a nice day!
        IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Irfanview can follow or ignore the EXIF oriantation tag when you save a JPG image. You have to check/unckeck the option in the JPG save dialogue. Click image for larger version

Name:	exif orientation.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	81399
          Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.67/64
          Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

When only orientation is to be changed for a jpg, I think Options -> JPG lossless rotation is the way to do it. (If I remember correctly, there has been discussion here about how it works. To avoid this, I am actually using ExifToolGUI to easily rotate jpg images.)

(And, by the way, I will name my next child Kuki Dent.)
            IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Jacal, thanks for your additional information. I never used this option, but know about it. The way I described was proposed to me some years ago by Irfan himself.
              When I only want to rotate 90 degrees to the left or right, I simply use 'L' or 'R' . However, this lead to the problem the the rotation was ignored, when the EXIF orientation tag has not been reset.

Originally posted by Jacal View Post
              (And, by the way, I will name my next child Kuki Dent.)
              I'm pleased :-)) . In my assumption Kuki Dent is an unknown brother of Arthur Dent, and I also like the word play with the toothpaste company.
              Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.67/64
              Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Most programs today can handle exif:Orientation tag, so there is usually no need to actually change the image. If necessary, lossless rotation can also do this in a, well, lossless way.

Be well, Kuki Dent! (I had to write it one more time.)
                IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

This has come up time and again. The confusion is caused by the "Auto-rotate image according to EXIF info.." option in the JPG/PCD/GIF tab of Properties/Settings. If checked the visible image is rotated automatically to display right way up if the EXIF orientation tag is set to anything except "Top Left" .

When you Save the image though it is a WYSIWYG operation, the image is saved exactly as you see it (with the image still auto-rotated). If you save the EXIF data as it is, with the orientation tag unchanged, then the image will not display right way up when you next view it if the Auto-rotate option remains checked. This often leads to users reporting that the rotation has not been saved or has been saved wrongly.

Comment

Working...
                  X