New 64Bit IrfanView - No EXIF Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New 64Bit IrfanView - No EXIF Data

I just downloaded the 64bit version of IrfanView to my Win7/Pro x64 desktop.

I've been using the 32bit version for years.

Now I find I cannot look at EXIF information on image files opened in IrfanView.

The program reports it cannot find:

METADATA.DLL

I used ZTreeWin and checked both the Plugins (just downloaded and carefully installed in the right path as the i_view64.exe file) and the Plugins not uninstalled when I uninstalled the 32bit version of IrfanView.

I also tried opening an mp3 file and get the error that IrfanView cannot find

Stub_Plugin.exe

As a cross check I went to Start and searched both METADATA.DLL AND Stub_plugin.exe and neither was found.

What should I do next?

thanks

baumgrenze

No such problems here. The Metadata plugin is installed by default.

Try downloading the plugins package again (also available from my site)
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Still No METADATA.DLL

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      No such problems here. The Metadata plugin is installed by default.

Try downloading the plugins package again (also available from my site)
      Thank you, Bhikkhu Pesala!

I used your embedded link, downloaded the plugins package again, installed it, and searched at Start for METADATA.DLL.

Perhaps I need to do a complete uninstall of all and any IrfanView installations and then reinstall from your website?

I looked at my history. I recall that on 2/16 I saw a popup message from Avast Free telling me that my IrfanView was out of date. When I looked I discovered that there is now a 64bit version. As I run under Win7/Pro x64 I downloaded it. It came from dowload.cnet.com. I've always considered this a reliable site. It created the appropriate new installation path under Program Files. When I downloaded the Plugins and installed them they somehow ended up in the (x86) path. I was tired and I just followed the default install recommendations as the Wizard installed the software. I eventually used ControlPanel to uninstall the 32bit version of IrfanView. It appeared that in the (x86 path only the Plugin part of the path remained. I tried moving that to the new installation at Program Files under IrfanView. It showed up there. I just checked the (x86) path and find that there is a 'complete installation' of the 32bit version of IrfanView there. At least I find i_view32.exe dated 3-22-16 and there is a branch for Plugins.

ZTreeWin tells me that this IrfanView path contains 252 files. Is this a reasonable number?

I see that the arrangement under Program Files is more complex. When I downloaded the Plugins from your website and ran the Wizard I was asked for a path and I put them under IrfanView>Plugins. Now I have 2 Plugins paths, one under IrfanView and a second under IrfanView\Plugins. This makes it hard to check the number of files.

My first problem after installing the 64bit version of IrfanView was that I could not hear sound when I tried to play a stored mp3 file. Probing told me that this file could not be found:

Stub_Plugin.exe"

I just searched at Start for this file and it is also not found.

To repeat, should I use Control Panel and uninstall all references to IrfanView?

Should this remove any Plugins branches?

Should I check to make sure that nothing remains?

If I still find something, should I carefully delete all the files?

Are there any files that might be under different paths that I need to find and delete?

thanks

baumgrenze

Comment

Unless you need to edit very large files (25 Megapixels or more), there is no advantage to using the 64-bit version.

Uninstall everything from control panel, and start over. Install the 32-bit version and 32-bit plugins in C:\Program Files (x86)\Irfanview

If you want the 64-bit version, install it and the 64-bit plugins in C:\Program Files\IrfanView

I no longer trust CNET or the other download sites, as it's far to easy to get PUPs or even malware from such sites. That's why I asked Irfan Skiljan's permission to host the files on my own site.

There are not yet any plugins updated after 4.42.

It's worth reading the plugins page carefully.
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 18.04.2016, 05:33 PM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thank You

Thank you, Bhikkhu Pesala

I appreciate your taking time at the end of your day to reply.

Now I understand what I need to do. I will proceed cautiously. The heyday when a PC was relatively easy to maintain is now increasingly complex. It is 'fun' for those who have made it their hobby-interest, but frustrating for those of us who just want the PC as a tool to pursue other interests.

Your efforts on my (and others) behalf are most appreciated,

baumgrenze

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          Unless you need to edit very large files (25 Megapixels or more), there is no advantage to using the 64-bit version.

Uninstall everything from control panel, and start over. Install the 32-bit version and 32-bit plugins in C:\Program Files (x86)\Irfanview

If you want the 64-bit version, install it and the 64-bit plugins in C:\Program Files\IrfanView

I no longer trust CNET or the other download sites, as it's far to easy to get PUPs or even malware from such sites. That's why I asked Irfan Skiljan's permission to host the files on my own site.

There are not yet any plugins updated after 4.42.

It's worth reading the plugins page carefully.

Comment

Uninstaller Does Not Work or is Not Found

Hello Bhikkhu Pesala

I am confused. I can find both the 32bit and 64bit versions of IrfanView using Windows Explorer in the expected folders. The 32bit version shows the uninstaller file. I have attached selected copies of each directory.

In Control Panel there is no entry for IrfanView.

When I try to run the uninstaller file from the 32bit version in Start>Run in Win7/Pro x64 I get the response,

"Can't find IrfanView folder! IrfanView is not installed."

I've started a thread on Sevenforums.com. Callender suggests:

"Personally I'd just try running the Irfanview installer downloaded from the website and see if it throws up any errors."

as his first suggestion.

Should there be uninstaller files for both the 32bit and 64bit versions? Only the 32bit version shows one just now.

Can you provide a link where I can download the uninstaller files or should I download both versions using your website and try installing 'on top of' the 'perhaps' already existing installation? Should I then try uninstalling to clean up the system, then reinstall just the 32bit version?

Callender considers manual deletion of the files 'a last resort' solution that may cause greater problems.

What do you advise? You know IrfanView well.

thanks

baumgrenze
            Attached Files

Comment

I Can Run Both Versions of IrfanView

Hello again Bhikkhu Pesala,

Here is an interesting afterthought. I suddenly realized that I could run IrfanView. The 64 bit copy is not 'perfect' but I can view images and thumbnails of a directory open as expected. It fails to play an mp3 file nor can it open EXIF information for a photo. It reports the same errors I noted before. As proof that the programs run I've attached the Help About from each one.

Thanks again,

baumgrenze
              Attached Files

Comment

I found iv_uninstall.exe in both C:\Program Files\IrfanView and C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView.

In control panel I only found entries for "remove only" for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. There are a lot of Windows registry entries for IrfanView for file associations. I guess that running the uninstallers will clean those up, which removing the folders won't do.

Since you want to reinstall, deleting the folders, then reinstalling should be enough.

Comment

Working...
                X