X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum registration

Hi,

today I re-opened the user registration. When you click on the following registration url:

you will be asked for user credentials (I used that method to prevent spam users). Please use the following credentials (user name and password) for the registration site (please click on that image):

Click image for larger version

Name:	out.png
Views:	1
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	85347

After that you will be proceed to the registration site, where you can choose your desired user name, mail and password for your forum account.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 28.09.2020, 05:55 PM. Reason: Replaced transparent image

Thank you Stefan.

I just registered and got a mail to confirm my registration. When I followed the link in that mail below the next line:

"To complete your registration, please visit this URL:" I was asked to provide a username an password.

It seemed logical to use the name and password I just registered, but that didn't work. Since the mail didn't give me another hint I tried other passwords, which did work. Is that meant so be that way? If so, the mail should help users to come to that conclusion.

Other than that, thank you very much for this very helpful program and support.

Kind regards,

Frank
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 22.08.2017, 02:18 PM.

Comment

You seem to have registered OK. I have removed your password from your forum post.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

When I tried to activate my account by clicking the link on my phone, it just kept asking me for a username and password, no matter how many times I entered it.

When I used the activation link on my laptop PC, it went right through and activated on the first try, and I didn't even have to enter my credentials.

Comment

why not just use google recaptcha ?

Comment

Just to mirror the above post.
            If your goal is to stop bots that image doesn't do much against someone that wants to automate it, and you just make frustrated users by asking twice(For registration-page, fair enough, but why the second time?) for a long string to be entered in a prompt which on Chrome at least has no auto-complete and is annoyingly dominant when multi-tasking. Please just get Recaptcha, yes 'they' can just pay some poor Indian guy to solve it for 'their' bots, but likewise right now 'they' just need to copy-paste the information in the image.

Comment

I have been visiting the forum as a moderator for years, and very rarely see any spam. As far as I can tell the registration is effective in spite of being awkward for genuine users. What you see is what you get, and it is unlikely to change unless the site Admin wants to change it.

Stefan's latest post made on 27-04-2018 was about a change he made to Captcha.
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

It is no doubt effective at stopping random bots, but again why the second prompt when confirming the email after registration?

Comment

Thread closed. There is nothing more to discuss here. The forum admin, Stefan, decides how to manage forum registrations, and no one else has any control over this.

Comment

Working...
                  X