Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 changes default program

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

I have often had this problem with Windows 10 updates. Windows no longer seems to know that Irfanview exists.

What I do is to select a file in File Explorer (WinKey+E) of a type that I want to associate with Irfanview and right click on it. Select Open with... and you get a list of programs to choose from but Irfanview is not there. Scroll down to the bottom and click on Choose another app which gives you another list (still without Irfanview). Keep scrolling down to the bottom and selecting More Apps until Windows eventually runs out of things to suggest and gives you an Explorer window instead that is open at Program Files. Find Irfanview in that or another Program Files folder. Find i_view32.exe or i_view64.exe in it and select that. On the way back out remember to check the Always use this app to open *** files box.

After going through all that you will find that Irfanview is back in the list for all types of file (until the next update anyway).

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

These Windows 10 updates also tend to take over some raw photo formats, where the default Windows viewer can't even display the embedded jpeg preview, while IrfanView can. So, not a good enough reason for a revolution, but it is annoying and it certainly seems to be deliberate. Then the Mij has to write all that long instructions, and so on. We've been sent good weather, which I receive with joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mij View Post
    More Apps.
    Thanks for your response. I can get to the "select an app on this pc". The problem is doing that for every image file type - cumbersome.

Win10 gets more locked down with every update tbh. MS was never great sw in the quality sense, but geeeeez these guys are making it worse.

The reason I have two "mostly" identical machines is that I use these guys for perl dev/test. The machine that isn't cooperating is the test machine, so I can (barely) live without IV_451_32 for at least a little bit. I will definitely be happy when this is resolved, though. There is nothing worse than double-clicking an image and having ms photos open. Total garbage sw - almost shameful. Thanks again btw.

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by HiRezGuy View Post
    Thanks for your response. I can get to the "select an app on this pc". The problem is doing that for every image file type - cumbersome.
    You need to get to the Choose default apps by file type menu for that. My usual route to it is WinKey+X > Apps > Default apps
    . Scroll down in that menu and find ...by file type there.

I find that once you have got Windows to accept that Irfanview still exists, using the process I outlined in my previous post, then it also knows what file types can be opened by it and you can choose Irfanview for all the file types you want.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    This happened on my laptop running Windows 10 Pro. The fix is easy with no need to go through "the backdoor" - registry hacks, etc.

Click Start, type: "Default Apps Settings".

Scroll to and click on: "Photo Viewer" and select Irfanview from the list.

Click the X in the top right corner of this window. Locate and double click some photo files *.jpg or other picture files and test it.
    Anyone knows what to do when IrfanView is NOT listed in the "Choose an app" window?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chooseapp.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	5436  

Version
    IrfanView 4.44
    OS
    32-bit Win 7 Professional SP1
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by firepile View Post
    Anyone knows what to do when IrfanView is NOT listed in the "Choose an app" window?
    see this post by Mij above

Quote Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
    see this post by Mij above

Doesn't work, I get the same list of apps which does not include IrfanView.

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

It is not important which version of Win10 you use - the solution is always the same:
    1) You must do everything as admin
    2) You can follow the steps as described by Mij above or do the following:
    3) - Right click on a picture you want to open with Irfanview.
    - Select 'Open with'
    - Check the box 'Always use this app to open jpg.files'
    - If IrfanView is not listed, select 'Choose another app > More apps > Find another app on this PC' (I had to translate from german)
    - Navigate to IrfanView's program folder, select 'i_view32.exe' (or i_view64.exe) > Open.
    4) That's it.

Hope it helps.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace - Jimi Hendrix

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Windows 10 has had some issues with resetting file associations. In fact the most recent Update KB4467682 is suppose to address the recent update that caused associations of all types in Win 10 to stop working. So I suggest if you are running the October Creators Update that you get this patch.

I have also found that on my 64-bit system using the downloaded 64-bit ver 4.51 I have a specific issue with windows not allowing the '.tiff' (not the '.tif') extension to be associated with IrfanView.

To add to the frustrations the whole procedure of Open With > Choose Another App won't work because Windows removed the Browse functionality. Your alternative option is to Choose an App from the Windows Store. Interestingly this actually worked. The Windows Store App version of IrfanView installs and allows the '.tiff' association.

Forget editing the registry, Windows 10 is ignoring what is put in there. I'm sure this is a group policy thing.

I don't know if the issue lies with the regular downloadable version of IrfanView or with Windows itself. Since the App version works and the other doesn't it makes me wonder.

I have not testing this on other systems as this is the one I used when dealing with tiff files. If I get some spare time I might play around with it.

I figured I would at least put this hear in case it helps others. Prior to the KB update Windows file associations would revert back to windows defaults with the exception of more mainstream applications like Adobe products for Browsers.

If anyone has an answer to this I'd love to hear it.

In any case I'll just keep using the App version from the Windows Store for now. I love IrfanView.

Thanks
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 30.11.2018 at 10:12 PM. Reason: fixed typos

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.44
    OS
    64-bit Win 10

Worked for me. Thanks.

Thread Information