Windows 10 changes default program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firepile View Post
    Anyone knows what to do when IrfanView is NOT listed in the "Choose an app" window?
    see this post by Mij above

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Originally posted by jazzman View Post
      see this post by Mij above

Doesn't work, I get the same list of apps which does not include IrfanView.

Comment

It is not important which version of Win10 you use - the solution is always the same:
        1) You must do everything as admin
        2) You can follow the steps as described by Mij above or do the following:
        3) - Right click on a picture you want to open with Irfanview.
        - Select 'Open with'
        - Check the box 'Always use this app to open jpg.files'
        - If IrfanView is not listed, select 'Choose another app > More apps > Find another app on this PC' (I had to translate from german)
        - Navigate to IrfanView's program folder, select 'i_view32.exe' (or i_view64.exe) > Open.
        4) That's it.

Hope it helps.
        Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
        Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Windows 10 has had some issues with resetting file associations. In fact the most recent Update KB4467682 is suppose to address the recent update that caused associations of all types in Win 10 to stop working. So I suggest if you are running the October Creators Update that you get this patch.

I have also found that on my 64-bit system using the downloaded 64-bit ver 4.51 I have a specific issue with windows not allowing the '.tiff' (not the '.tif') extension to be associated with IrfanView.

To add to the frustrations the whole procedure of Open With > Choose Another App won't work because Windows removed the Browse functionality. Your alternative option is to Choose an App from the Windows Store. Interestingly this actually worked. The Windows Store App version of IrfanView installs and allows the '.tiff' association.

Forget editing the registry, Windows 10 is ignoring what is put in there. I'm sure this is a group policy thing.

I don't know if the issue lies with the regular downloadable version of IrfanView or with Windows itself. Since the App version works and the other doesn't it makes me wonder.

I have not testing this on other systems as this is the one I used when dealing with tiff files. If I get some spare time I might play around with it.

I figured I would at least put this hear in case it helps others. Prior to the KB update Windows file associations would revert back to windows defaults with the exception of more mainstream applications like Adobe products for Browsers.

If anyone has an answer to this I'd love to hear it.

In any case I'll just keep using the App version from the Windows Store for now. I love IrfanView.

Thanks
          Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 30.11.2018, 10:12 PM. Reason: fixed typos

Comment

Worked for me. Thanks.

Comment

I do not use Windows 10 but in previous Windows versions if you go to the Control Panel > Programs one of the sub-menu options is to set your default programs. That seems to prioritise 64bit programs if you're using a 64bit system so 32bit programs do not appear to be listed and there is no way of adding them.

I've just checked about Win10 and the Control Panel for default programs and associating programs options looks identical to Win7.

Changing the default Photo Viewer is easy in Windows 11/10. Learn how to change the default Image Viewer using Settings or Control Panel.

Only if you use the Win10 Settings app are the options limited in the way some here have described.

However using the Control Panel you can set file type associations to anything even if the particular program is not listed as the default or one of the listed ones. Windows has always given you the option to browse and add other programs or set as default.

The problem has always been almost the opposite of what has been described here; once a file association has been added whether it is relevant to the file type of not it will always be listed and that can mean in the right mouse click context menu too. Previous Windows versions have no built in way of disassociating such programs which means if you've made a mistake and added a program that won't open a particular file type it will remain listed forever unless you edit the registry or use a third party tool like:-

Here is a utility that helps you unassociate a file type quickly in your Windows Vista or Windows 7 computer without the need to edit the registry manually. Windows 7 & Vista do not provide a GUIā€¦

only for Win7 and Vista unfortunately but it does the job. As does the Default Programs Editor, again, unfortunately also just for Win7.

Surely there is something similar for Win10.
              Last edited by BadRobot2018; 02.01.2019, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Latest Win10 Enterprise /64 fresh install, and IrfanView 4.52/64 has the app default reset issue.
                I just ran IrfanView as Admin, set the associations, and will wait for those messages again.
                I also noticed the new button "Win10..." on that dialog and set Photos default to IrfanView.
                Will edit with results.
                No complaints from Windows since the above, 1 day later.
                Last edited by HansSchulze; 24.04.2019, 12:16 AM.

Comment

I do not know if the latest Win10 Enterprise will do it but in my latest Win10 Pro edition I specify individual file types that I want to associate with Irfanview as below:

1. Open PC Settings or Windows Settings then click on Apps (quickest way is Shortcut WinKey+X, Settings, Apps)
                  2. Click on Default apps then scroll down to the bottom of the window and click on Choose default applications by file type
                  3. Wait while Windows compiles the list of file types found on the computer and the programs currently associated with them.
                  4. Scroll down to the file type you want and click on the icon for the application currently associated with it. You should see Irfanview among the alternative programs that can open it.
                  5. Click on the Irfanview icon and it should replace the program currently associated with the file type.

Comment

Working...
                  X