Windows 10 changes default program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 10 changes default program

Windows 10 recently reported that an application (presumably Irfanview) had caused a problem with default files and that the default program for viewing images had been reset to Photo viewer. This is very annoying behaviour but typical of the controlling mentality that seems to pervade Windows 10.
    Is there anything that can be done about this?

Try using the Extensions tab in IrfvanView Settings to set it as the default for the images that you want to open in it.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I would try, what Bhikkhu Pesala suggested, with launching IV as administrator.
      IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Basically if you use a IV shortcut on the Taskbar, right click it, select Properties. Click on Advanced... then tick 'Run as administrator'.

Do this for any other shortcuts you may have on the desktop, etc.

You may wish to also click on the 'Run this program as an administrator' in the Compatibility tab of the shortcut properties.

Please note, there was a massive update to Windows 10 recently that reset the OS file associations with images. So any future updates may very well override your settings. Still, easy to change them back.
        Stuart Halliday

Comment

Set Irfanview to the default picture viewer instead of Photo viewer in Windows 10

Originally posted by layd999 View Post
          Windows 10 recently reported that an application (presumably Irfanview) had caused a problem with default files and that the default program for viewing images had been reset to Photo viewer. This is very annoying behaviour but typical of the controlling mentality that seems to pervade Windows 10.
          Is there anything that can be done about this?
          This happened on my laptop running Windows 10 Pro. The fix is easy with no need to go through "the backdoor" - registry hacks, etc.

Click Start, type: "Default Apps Settings".

Scroll to and click on: "Photo Viewer" and select Irfanview from the list.

Click the X in the top right corner of this window. Locate and double click some photo files *.jpg or other picture files and test it.

Comment

IrfanView 32 user - I use the Kadmos plug-in for OCR (v4.4y 12-19-2013). I use a win8 ASUS machine upgraded to win10 during the free win10 upgrade trial.

I upgraded yesterday to 4.51 from 4.42. File associations are not sticking when set in IrfanView 32, either during the installation or using the options screen.

Here are some things I tried.
            1. Uninstalled. Re-installed with "run as administrator". -- Didn't fix the associations issue. IrfanView doesn't even show as a selection in "Default Apps".
            2. Used "dsim.exe" to export associations as xml. Updated the xml with the correct associations, and imported with "dsim.exe". -- Didn't fix the associations issue. IrfanView doesn't even show as a selection in "Default Apps".
            3. Uninstalled. Re-installed with the "MS Store" by searching for "IrfanView 32". This installed 4.50 under c:\program files\WindowsApps\, which is secured. -- This approach allowed the default app for photos to be changed, which I did.

I didn't try installing the plug-ins or Kadmos yet. I'll post back with those results (or problems).

Comment

I have two of the same systems, as described in my original post. One system is default out of the box; the other I wiped and re-installed. During the Win10 april upgrade (win10_1709 to win10_1803), which happened a few weekends ago in may-2018, the win10 file associations process was changed.

Irfanview 32 4.51 works fine under the freshly installed system.

The "default" system gets the win 1083 build. So I did the above by installing from the MS store. MS installs it under WinowsApps, which is owned by the installer, and cannot be accessed. It became unbearable to try to get it working properly with irfanview 4.50, which is what the MS store installed.

So I uninstalled, and re-installed the 64-bit 4.51 on the win 1083 build machine. This at least installed in a "typical" place under "program files". I unzipped the plugins and copied those to the plugins folder.

I tried setting associations during installation and again using the options. Neither works. It is not possible to change the default app under "settings" because irfaniview doesn't even show. The new april-build win10_1083 doesn't allow for browsing to default apps.

Let me know if these recent posts should maybe moved to another topic.

Please also let me know if this is "fixable".

[update]
              I mentioned win10 build 1079 in this post. The MS april-2018 update delivered win10 build 1083. I've updated this post to reflect the appropriate win10 build #.
              Last edited by HiRezGuy; 26.06.2018, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Before you do anything, update to Windows 10 1803, or you might have to do it all again after updating.

Run as administrator, then set the extensions in Settings/Properties.

Once you have fixed it, IrfanView will show up in Default Apps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Default Apps.png
Views:	1
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	83117
                Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 17.05.2018, 06:22 AM.
                Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks for your response. I am thinking it is corrupted file system permissions tbh. There's other apps misbehaving. I am going to do a re-install of win10. I'll post back with my notes.

Thanks again. iv is really cool sw that I've used for years. First problem I ever had.

Comment

Sorry for the delay in reporting back. As I mentioned in my reply to this older thread, I was having problems with IV_451_32bit under win10 with the spring update build 1083. (My initial post said build 1079, but the spring update was in fact 1083.)

I continued having the associations issue after the spring win10_1083 update for what I described as my "default" system. I re-installed win10. The issue persisted. I re-installed win10_1083 with a new local id, and also set apps to developer mode. This kind of fixed things. Basically, I couldn't get the IV_451_32 associations to stick, even when installed and running as admin. I have another machine that is same exact hw as my "default" that had been freshly installed after purchase, and IV_451_32 works fine on that system, including associations and the add-ins I use (e.g., KADMOS OCR). But my "default" system was misbehaving. I attribute this to permissions for windowsapps, and my office365 id. Win10_1083 wants to tie everything to your Microsoft id, and this may have caused some issues.

As an interesting note, I use a program called WinRAR, and it had the same associations issue on my "default" machine - the difference being that WinRAR "su's" to admin when setting associations (e.g., "allow changes to system" modal dialog), so even as win10_1083 clobbers the rar associations, WinRAR is able to reset the associations properly.

I couldn't get IV_451_32 to set associations properly on my "default" system, so for now, I am going without (as mentioned, I installed as admin, ran as admin - it didn't work properly). And this kind of stinks because "MS Photos" is absolute garbage. Anyway, eventually it'll get worked out, and then I'll put it back on. I continue to use IV_451_32 on my cleanly installed machine, and it is working as expected.
                    Last edited by HiRezGuy; 26.06.2018, 05:22 PM.

Comment

I have often had this problem with Windows 10 updates. Windows no longer seems to know that Irfanview exists.

What I do is to select a file in File Explorer (WinKey+E) of a type that I want to associate with Irfanview and right click on it. Select Open with... and you get a list of programs to choose from but Irfanview is not there. Scroll down to the bottom and click on Choose another app which gives you another list (still without Irfanview). Keep scrolling down to the bottom and selecting More Apps until Windows eventually runs out of things to suggest and gives you an Explorer window instead that is open at Program Files. Find Irfanview in that or another Program Files folder. Find i_view32.exe or i_view64.exe in it and select that. On the way back out remember to check the Always use this app to open *** files box.

After going through all that you will find that Irfanview is back in the list for all types of file (until the next update anyway).

Comment

These Windows 10 updates also tend to take over some raw photo formats, where the default Windows viewer can't even display the embedded jpeg preview, while IrfanView can. So, not a good enough reason for a revolution, but it is annoying and it certainly seems to be deliberate. Then the Mij has to write all that long instructions, and so on. We've been sent good weather, which I receive with joy.
                        IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                          More Apps.
                          Thanks for your response. I can get to the "select an app on this pc". The problem is doing that for every image file type - cumbersome.

Win10 gets more locked down with every update tbh. MS was never great sw in the quality sense, but geeeeez these guys are making it worse.

The reason I have two "mostly" identical machines is that I use these guys for perl dev/test. The machine that isn't cooperating is the test machine, so I can (barely) live without IV_451_32 for at least a little bit. I will definitely be happy when this is resolved, though. There is nothing worse than double-clicking an image and having ms photos open. Total garbage sw - almost shameful. Thanks again btw.

Comment

Originally posted by HiRezGuy View Post
                            Thanks for your response. I can get to the "select an app on this pc". The problem is doing that for every image file type - cumbersome.
                            You need to get to the Choose default apps by file type menu for that. My usual route to it is WinKey+X > Apps > Default apps
                            . Scroll down in that menu and find ...by file type there.

I find that once you have got Windows to accept that Irfanview still exists, using the process I outlined in my previous post, then it also knows what file types can be opened by it and you can choose Irfanview for all the file types you want.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbios View Post
                              This happened on my laptop running Windows 10 Pro. The fix is easy with no need to go through "the backdoor" - registry hacks, etc.

Click Start, type: "Default Apps Settings".

Scroll to and click on: "Photo Viewer" and select Irfanview from the list.

Click the X in the top right corner of this window. Locate and double click some photo files *.jpg or other picture files and test it.
                              Anyone knows what to do when IrfanView is NOT listed in the "Choose an app" window?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X