"Send To.. irfanview" option for multiple images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Implemented "Send To.. irfanview" option for multiple images

The new 64-bit version of irfanview introduced this feature. Select multiple files in windows explorer, which are not necessarily in same folder, right click, "send to..irfanview" or drag to an open irfanview window. This is very useful in working with select files.

Can we have this feature in 32-bit version of irfanview? [64 bit version is somewhat buggy, so i had to migrate back to 32 bit version]

Sent to IrfanView is available for both versions but, for me on Windows 7 64-bit, neither works to send more than one file at a time.

However, if I simply press the Enter key, multiple files will open in IrfanView (if that's the associated program).

I don't know how you manage to select multiple files in different folders.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 15.06.2016, 06:04 PM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

"Send to irfanview" option for multiple files does not work in 32 bit version. Only one file can be sent to an irfanview window, which has then all files in that particular folder "indexed".

It works in 64-bit version, in the sense that when i select multiple files and "send to irfanview 64", a irfanview window opens with all selected files "indexed". If 5 files selected in a folder containing 30 files, then the index in the opened window becomes 1/5,2/5, upto 5/5; and not [1/30, 2/30,..upto 30/30]. So u can browse them (the selected files ONLY), slideshow them, or can open Thumbnails windows pressing "T" to do batch processing, tagging, etc. The selected files can be from same or different folders in windows, and typically are the result of a search in explorer.

Comment

This feature is highly useful (atleast to me) to do batch processing specific files only, after searching them in explorer. As we know search feature of irfanview (thumbnails window) is quite weak, and search feature of windows explorer with tags etc is quite powerful. So the optimum way is to: search in explorer, process in irfanview.

Comment

Adding to my reply above, plz see the 3 screenshots.

Image-1: I select 5 pics in a folder containing 21 pics, and "send to irfanview 64".
          Image-2: Irfanview window opens, with those 5 files *only* indexed. The index is 1/5 and not 1/21.
          Image-3: Irfanview Thumbnails window opens on pressing "T", with those 5 files only. A 32-bit version of irfanview thumbnails window would open ALL 21 files in the folder, when u press T in a irfanview window containing any one of those 21 files.

Comment

This works for me as you describe. Only one file is actually opened in IrfanView, but the index shows 1/5. The thumbnail view (shortcut T) also opens with just those five files.

Make sure that you have updated to the latest version 4.42 and please update your forum profile accordingly (see the link in my signature).
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 20.06.2016, 02:19 PM.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

ok..thanks a lot. If i may request a favour, can u plz check one more thing: does it work for files selected from 2 different folder? Search a term in windows explorer, out of the search results select 2 files from 2 different folders, "send to irfanview (4.42)". Does the window open with 1/2 index?

I am asking a favour to be sure before downloading this version

Comment

I did not know about this feature nor do I need it, but I tried it out. I selected 5 pictures from one folder and send them to Iview. Iview loaded all five pictures, but not the other ones from the same folder.
                The I let that instance of Iview open, changed the folder in Explorer and send 3 pictures to Iview. This opened a second instance of Iview with the three selected pictures (Iview is allowed in the preferences to open multiple instances.)
                Hope that helps.
                Last edited by Kuki Dent; 20.06.2016, 06:29 PM. Reason: Typo
                Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
                Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Originally posted by rkghadai View Post
                  If i may request a favour, can u plz check one more thing: does it work for files selected from 2 different folder? Search a term in windows explorer, out of the search results select 2 files from 2 different folders, "send to irfanview (4.42)". Does the window open with 1/2 index?
                  Yes, it works with search results.

Comment

thanks a lot. Mods may delete this thread

Comment

Since v4.40 it has been possible to drag multiple files from Explorer and drop them onto the Irfanview shortcut icon (if you have one on your desktop) and they open as you are describing. That works reliably in 32 or 64 bit versions. You can also drop them into any open Irfanview window with the same result.

Before that was possible I wrote a VBS script file to do it, which you can still find in this thread https://irfanview-forum.de/showthread.php?t=9675. It was developed further in the later posts of that thread to do quite a lot more, including adding further files from different folders to the collection. I still use it regularly because it goes well beyond what Irfanview offers and I think you may well find it of value too, rkghadai.

The script was then developed to provide support for using Irfanview from a USB stick. You can find that in the Technical Docs here https://irfanview-forum.de/showthread.php?t=10210. I use that portable version even more.

Comment

Working...
                      X