Kadmos error - "unknown unicode"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kadmos error - "unknown unicode"

Recently I tried to install and use the Kadmos OCR plugin, but when I open it I get an error:

ERROR- CODE code_import_kenn

Unkown UNICODE 0x20212022

Last year, on IV 4.40 it worked fine. But now, on W10 using IV version 4.42 32-bit, all downloaded and freshly installed, with Kadmos also freshly downloaded and installed, it opens and then, when I click the cursor in the page image, it freezes with the above error appearing. It won't stop until I end IV with Task Manager. I tried installing both the German and the US versions of the plugin, and the error is the same whether I use a tiff or jpeg image, and whether I use a German text or an English text. I actually want to ocr German text. What is the solution?

Here is a screenshot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	kadmos problem.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	84799

I suspect that the Kadmo plugin developers are the only ones who can help you with that.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Ok, fair enough. In the meantime I found out that Google Docs will perform ocr, if you upload image files to your Google Drive folder, then on any scanned-text image file, right-click Open With -> Google Docs. It does a very good job, actually almost perfect on the job I am on now, and is complete with language detection - all German characters recognised. So maybe that is what I will stay with now; perhaps I'll leave Kadmos behind.

See: https://support.google.com/drive/answer/176692?hl=en

Comment

Another route is to save as PDF then do the OCR in PDF-XChange Editor.

The Kadmos plug-in is working OK for me, but it's not something that I use.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I installed the German language, but got no error with your file.

Comment

Your more positive experience must mean there is something about my setup that is causing the problem.

It occurs to me now, as a guess, that I should uninstall IV 64-bit in case in some way there is a registry conflict while running IV 32-bit.

But, I will leave it broken for now, since my immediate need has been covered by Google Docs's ocr - many ocr apps don't do so well on German, but GD does it at least as well as Kadmos.

Thanks for now

Comment

When I try selecting a German dictionary the program freezes, but I don't see any error message.

I am using Kadmos 4.4y

Comment

Working...
              X