Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make irfanView render a new JPEG from RAW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make irfanView render a new JPEG from RAW?

It is obvious that irfanView is not rendering a new JPEG when I load a NEF file. It's too fast and the file size is much too small. It is apparently grabbing one of the preview images embedded in the NEF. Is there a way to make it render a new JPEG? Do I have any control of HOW it does this rendering?

TIA...

Enable the options that you wish to use for viewing RAW images in Settings, Plugins.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      Enable the options that you wish to use for viewing RAW images in Settings, Plugins.
      I assume that you meant Options > Properties/Settings > PlugIns ? I did that and then restarted irfanView. It did take a few seconds and the image was quite different than the preview from the NEF file.

I subtracted the Out of Camera JPEG from the new JPEG from irfanView w/ the new settings. It should be totally black, if the files are identical. I attached the difference image.

I guess my next question is whether I can control what the JPEG that is rendered from the NEF file looks like w/o spending many hours playing w/ the Image > Color Corrections ?

Thanks for your help!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 04.07.2016, 10:36 PM.

Comment

If you want sophisticated control over RAW processing, an image viewer is not the right tool for you. Try Photoshop or Affinity Photo if you have a Mac, or PhotoPlus X7 if you're short of cash and using Windows.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

To develop images, that look like embedded jpg preview images, use Nikon's own software, that comes with the camera. It is perfect for this.

When you'll want to make images, that look better than in-camera processed ones, try excellent open source editors LightZone and RawTherapee (Downloads) There is even a Windows version of Darktable available on Partha's page.

I recommend also this little article, that explains, why developed images usually look quite different than the camera jpeg.
          Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 09.07.2016, 04:52 AM. Reason: Added link to download page
          IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Working...
          X