Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copy pictures to "c:\Program files\.." makes files invisible for win explorer users !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bug Copy pictures to "c:\Program files\.." makes files invisible for win explorer users !

When in thumbnail view I copy - by mouse - files to "C:\Program Files\" (it is a protected system folder, but I have administrator rights), irfanview copies the files and sees them, but in Windows 7 for users copied files does not exist !.

( If I do it using Windows Explorer, system for first ask for authorization:
    "Destination Folder Access Denied.
    You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this folder"

but I use [Continue] button and system copies the files correctly. )

When I try to move files, irfanview returns error:
    "Error copying file."

Irfanview is also able to create directory without asking for authorization, but this new directory also does not exist for windows explorer users, although irfanview can see it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 20.07.2016, 06:17 PM. Reason: Fixed typos

Please edit your forum profile with your IrfanView version.

I can confirm the same behaviour using IrfanView 4.42, but I doubt if it is a bug. I advise using Windows Explorer for moving files to protected folders.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 20.07.2016, 10:13 PM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by zemiak View Post
      When in thumbnail view I copy - by mouse - files to "C:\Program Files\" (it is a protected system folder, but I have administrator rights), irfanview copies the files and sees them, but in Windows 7 for users copied files does not exist !.
      Yes. That is exactly what Windows 7 does, as do Vista, Win8 and Win10. You may have administrator rights but, unlike WinXP and previous outdated versions of Windows, a program does not automatically inherit the rights of the person who started it. It prevents user programs from writing files into a protected system folder for a very good reason.

You could open Irfanview using Run as Administrator and override the protection that your system is trying to impose, but how do you know that some piece of malware has not written itself into Program Files and replaced Irfanview so that it can take over your computer whenever you try to view your latest photos?

I do not know why you want to save GIF files in the Program files folder, but my advice is think again. That folder is for Program files and such others as the installer saves there because they are essential to the operation of the program. Use your User folders instead.

Comment

Working...
      X