Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep taskbar in view during Slideshow in Window mode

Hi,

I notice that when a Slideshow is played in Window mode, the taskbar disappears. Is it possible to keep this from happening? I see the Window mode as something you can use to be able to multi-task with other programs while the Slideshow is running.

Thank you!

Edit: I recently upgraded to 64-bit version and this wasn't happening with 32-bit version. Sorry if this should be under Bugs. Ver. 4.42 for 32-bit before and same for 64-bit now. Also, this is happening during Fullscreen Slideshows as well.
    Last edited by anonymous1; 19.08.2016, 07:09 PM.

The Windows taskbar remains visible when a slideshow is playing in both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions in Window mode.

Showing the windows taskbar in fullscreen mode would be a contradiction.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I can confirm that the taskbar does disappear, as reported by the OP, when playing a slideshow in Window mode on my computer too. I set the window not to cover the taskbar area of course and everything else on the desktop that is not covered up by the window remains visible, but the taskbar disappears completely as soon as the slideshow is started. This is on 32-bit versions, both Windows and Irfanview.

I will not say that it is a bug in the Irfanview program yet, because I have made a number of changes to my computer to get rid of the worst of the Windows 10 annoyances including installing the Classic Start program to display a Win7-like Start menu again. I suppose that might possibly have a bearing on this issue but it will remain at least until I have discovered where Microsoft have hidden all the most useful controls.

Comment

On my system where I am currently running 64-bit, the taskbar continues to disappear during slideshows in BOTH Window and Fullscreen mode. I can confirm this for Fullscreen mode by toggling to the desktop or a different program. Normally in the past, I would be able to access the taskbar this way while the slideshow continues to run in the background.

I am running Windows 10 Home atm, installed fresh less than 2 weeks ago.

Comment

I think you are wrong about Fullscreen mode. You have never been able to see the taskbar when you have selected fullscreen. Fullscreen is just what it says - it fills the screen including the taskbar area. Are you perhaps confusing fullscreen with a maximized window which does leave the taskbar uncovered and operable?

What you say about Slideshows is true though. With a Slideshow running in what the dialog calls "Window mode", the window can be set so that it does not cover the taskbar area, and in that case you should be able to use the taskbar. If the taskbar always hides when the Slideshow runs (which is what both you and I observe) then I would say that it probably is a bug. I cannot say for sure that this is a new behaviour with Windows 10. It might have happened with earlier Windows versions and I never noticed.

Comment

I'm not sure how I can make this any clearer.

Running a Slideshow in Fullscreen, you are still able to toggle to different programs while the Slideshow continues to run.
            As a result, I was previously able to see and use the taskbar when I toggled to a different program while the slideshow continued to run in Fullscreen mode in background.

Now, the taskbar is invisible, with a blank/black screen in its place.

Is this not making sense?
            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 24.08.2016, 03:48 PM. Reason: Shouting doesn't help.

Comment

Try Alt + Tab
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Yes, Alt + Tab toggles you to a different program. Also [Window Key] + D toggles you to desktop and back. Using this method, you can see that the taskbar does indeed disappear while the Slideshow is running, even if IrfanView is not the active window.

Comment

OK you are right. If I use Windows key+D to hide the fullscreen slideshow then I can see that the taskbar is missing just as when displaying in a window.

Pressing Windows key +T followed by Enter will then show the other running programs and let you select one but I agree that the taskbar would be a lot better.

Comment

Quite by accident I discovered that when playing a slideshow in Window mode, I only lose the taskbar if I set X=0 in the settings of the window position. Even a single pixel away from the edge (X=1) is enough to keep the taskbar visible.
                    It does not help for a fullscreen slideshow of course, that always starts at X=0, but not may of us try to look at what lies behind that.

Comment

Working...
                    X