A way to simplify the Printer Setup - Source drop-down list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A way to simplify the Printer Setup - Source drop-down list

I'm looking for a way to simplify the default Printer Setup - source drop-down list, so it would only show the actual source options without adding paper types after it.

When I go to print preview, click Printer Setup (to print from a different tray), and click Source, what I get is a long list of options (screenshot below). Instead of just showing source options, IrfanView adds paper type to that so I always have to scroll up to select Tray 1, for example. It's something that began to bug me and I just couldn't get used to it knowing it should be simpler.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IrfanView print setup-source1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	319.6 KB
ID:	84819
    For contrast, here is how the default printer Source menu looks like (which I have to enter another sub-menu to get to) - just the main source options, like it's supposed to be. My printer doesn't have a dedicated tray for every different possible paper type. Just tray 1 and tray 2.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IrfanView print setup-source2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	84820

Thanks in advance.

that is the printer dialog box

This has nothing to do with IrvanView - that dialog box belongs to your printer software (it will look similar or identically when called from other programs as well).

Suggestions:
    • Look in printer options and see if there is possible to hide some entries - maybe it could be done through windows registry, but that is dangerous if you don't know what you're doing
    • Ask HP and hope for an answer. Maybe a software update can change the menu slightly.
    • Maybe there is some HP forum out there and maybe there is somebody that asked just the same. Try searc for "HP reduce list of paper format" or a phrase similar to that
    • Or if you're like me - just use Autohotkey and FORCE the menu to chose the correct paper every time. I can't help you making that script because I don't have the same menu here.

The last suggestion will typical work something like this - you probably only need one or two of the items in your list.
    If you use two most often, then a script will execute fast simulated mouse clicking (choose the correct paper) when you press 1 at keyboard (you can customize that to whatever you like).
    If you only use one tray - then let the script run in background and wait until you either press Ctrl+P or that the print dialog appear. Then the script will do the rest - maybe stop before actually execute the print.

Less important information:
    That is a thing that you'lle either hate (because you need to spend time to learn basic ahk scripting) or love it (because other programs can also be "customized").

There is one thing I've custimised myself - that is when clicking Ctrl+ShiftC, then it pops up image information and copy image path
    If it hurts not to drint, don't waste the bottle then.

Comment

Ahk FTW

Thank you for the reply. I especially appreciate the thought and effort put into giving a complex solution.

As far as I know, there isn't a way to hide the entries. I assumed IrfanView combines print source and adds the paper type to the same list to simplify the printer setup menu. Other software like Adobe Reader or MS Office just show the Printer properties directly (image 2 above) so this isn't a problem there.

What I ended up doing is using what you suggested - Autohotkey. I've been using it for years but I hadn't actually thought of creating a solution for this because I hoped it could be fixed natively.
      Anyway, I found a good method which ended up making things much easier. Now all I do is use the forward mouse button and it switches trays based on which one is currently used (based on the text under the mouse cursor).

The script to do this is below if you're interested (you can pm me if you want more info about it).
      #IfWinActive, ahk_exe i_view32.exe
      XButton2::
      ControlGetText, SourceText, ComboBox3, Print Setup
      If (SourceText = " Tray 2")
      {Mouseclick, left
      Sleep, 100
      Send, {Up}
      Sleep, 100
      Send, {Enter}
      Sleep, 50
      Send, {Enter}
      }
      else
      If (SourceText = " Tray 1")
      {Mouseclick, left
      Sleep, 100
      Send, {Down}
      Sleep, 100
      Send, {Enter}
      Sleep, 50
      Send, {Enter}
      }
      return
      Last edited by vitesse; 26.08.2016, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X