What does lossless rotation mean or do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does lossless rotation mean or do?

There is an option called lossless rotation. What does it mean and what does it really do? How is it different from the image/rorate option? When I tried it, it shrink the file size by 70%. What is not lost during the transformation?

Google is your friend when it comes to this kind of question.

An article like this will give a much more comprehensive answer than a short forum reply.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by yky View Post
      When I tried it, it shrink the file size by 70%. What is not lost during the transformation?
      If you choose the first option "None (can be used for optimising and cleaning)" you will probably see that you can get a similar file size reduction without doing any rotation at all. You do not appear to lose any pixels or data or quality. I have no idea how that is done.

AFAIK that same "optimising and cleaning" process is applied automatically after the lossless rotations have been completed, so any small removal or addition of pixels caused by the rotation is usually buried.
      Last edited by Mij; 06.10.2016, 04:06 PM. Reason: More relevant to the question

Comment

Originally posted by yky View Post
        There is an option called lossless rotation. What does it mean and what does it really do? How is it different from the image/rorate option? When I tried it, it shrink the file size by 70%. What is not lost during the transformation?
        You could download the Free, Lite User Manual from here - click Number 0), or from here - scroll down a screen and click on the Cover Page Thumbnail. It should answer your question
        --- Push the Envelope... lest it push you out!! ---

Comment

Working...
        X