Can't change the default app in Windows 10 for jpg to irfanview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Can't change the default app in Windows 10 for jpg to irfanview

Since windows 10 anniversary update the default app for .jpg and other extensions (.png, .jpeg...) is set to the MS-Program "Fotos". I'm running windows 10 pro 64 bit on several computes, its the same on every pc. I tried Ifranview 32, 64, with and without plugins. When it seemed that it was successful, after a while the note appeared "due to problems ... the default app was changed to standard" or similar. I've used Ifanview on all my computers privatly and professionally for many years and would be very pleased if I could continue to do so.
    Last edited by DirkH; 11.10.2016, 08:01 AM.

Just set them in Properties/Settings, Extensions.

I am also using Windows 10 Anniversary Edition, and my associations seem to stick OK.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

If that does not work, click with the right mouse button on any .jpg file and choose "Open with.."
      Irfanview may be there but clicking on it will only open it this time.
      To set as Default scroll down to "Choose another app" and select Irfanview there.
      Tick the box "Always use this app to open .JPG files" and "OK"
      Do that for any file type that you want to associate with Irfanview.

Otherwise type "Control panel" in the Search box of the Start menu. Yes it still exists but Microsoft have made it even harder to find.
      Control panel is now under "Settings" . Choose "Programs" from there and select either "Make a file type always open a specific program" if you want to select specific file types for Irfanview or "Set default programs" to let Irfanview open everything it can.
      Last edited by Mij; 11.10.2016, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
        If that does not work, click with the right mouse button on any .jpg file and choose "Open with.."
        Irfanview may be there but clicking on it will only open it this time.
        To set as Default scroll down to "Choose another app" and select Irfanview there.
        Tick the box "Always use this app to open .JPG files" and "OK"
        Do that for any file type that you want to associate with Irfanview.

Otherwise type "Control panel" in the Search box of the Start menu. Yes it still exists but Microsoft have made it even harder to find.
        Control panel is now under "Settings" . Choose "Programs" from there and select either "Make a file type always open a specific program" if you want to select specific file types for Irfanview or "Set default programs" to let Irfanview open everything it can.
        Thank you so much, using the Control panel Windows 7 - style it worked.
        Dirk

Comment

Reply to thread of DirkH

Well today I upgraded from Irfanview 4.41 to 4.44 (under Windows 10, 32 bit Irfanview on a 64 bit PC) and discovered to my annoyance that I could not make Irfanview the default app to open bmp, gif, jpg, png images. All other image files got properly associated to Irfanview, but those 4 (which are all I really use) were associated with a program called Fotos. This seems to be the exact same problem reported by DirkH. So I manually checked the little square for each of bmp, gif, jpg, png to make them associated with Irfanview. But it reverts to Fotos as soon as I exit the "set file associations" menu. This seems not to be an Irfanview problem, but rather bad behavior by the program Fotos, which apparently detects whenever another program changes its file associations, and it immediately resets them to Fotos.

There seems no way to fix the problem from within Irfanview, nor from within Fotos either. But I finally did fix it by using the windwos 10 Control Panel and using the operating system to change the application associated to bmp, gif, jpg, and png from Fotos to Irfanview. There seems to be no other way to fix this.

Comment

Windows 10 seems to do this from time to time, checking whether you have changed your mind.

In IV's Settings > Extensions there is a Control Panel button for Windows 10.
            IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Jacal View Post
              Windows 10 seems to do this from time to time, checking whether you have changed your mind.
              In IV's Settings > Extensions there is a Control Panel button for Windows 10.
              Be careful with that Control Panel button for Windows 10 in the Irfanview Settings. It takes you deep into Control Panel to the Set Default Programs option where, on my system anyway, Irfanview is not even listed as a choice. More worrying to me is that when I first pressed it, it triggered off a flurry of messages saying that an App had caused a problem with a particular File type, so Windows had changed the Association of that file type back to Photos. It did not affect anything I had Associated with Irfanview but it was clearly claiming more File types back for Photos again, just as it seems to do at every new update of Windows.

Comment

What about this problem? Running IrfanView as administrator and checking "Add IV as application for USB events ..." does not make it an option in (my) Windows 10 autoplay settings. For some reason, the only freeware option offered to me is the last beta version of GeoSetter.
                IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Working...
                X