Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Browsing options for folders with many files

Hi everyone,

Because IrfanView is so awesome, I use it for both home and work. One of my use cases at work is opening images in folders with many thousands of images. Please indulge me on this and don't ask why the hell we're doing that

In any case: the issue I run into there is that I can't do anything for approx 20 seconds after I open the image; if I try, IV goes into a Not Responding state.
    I am almost certain that the reason for this is that IV is scanning the rest of the images in the folder. I say this because I can disable the setting "View all files in directory [...]" under Browsing / Editing > Browsing, and - when I do that - I do not have the 20-second delay.

However, I really do like that option when I'm using IV for home stuff and even some of the other work stuff..

In a perfect world, IV would be modified to do that folder scan in the background and allow me to do everything except go to the prev/next file while it's doing that scan.
    However, if that is not an option, then maybe a configuration option could be added that tells it to not scan the the folder if it's over ### files (e.g. 500/1000).

Does anyone have any options/solutions for me?

Thanks!

Have you tried turning off the browsing option and using the Thumbnail view instead to browse large folders?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I have an answer, but probably not what you want to hear.

I've read (somewhere, I don't recall where or when) that NTFS becomes less responsive when there is a huge number of files within one folder - opposed to spread the files into multiple folders. I've not tested that assertion myself, and I don't know if that issue still exist within Windows 7 or later.

I do not know what methods is used to sort the images, but I guess If there is a problem with image sorting (so IV would know what image to appear next) I assume that there is Windows that perform the sorting.
      If it hurts not to drint, don't waste the bottle then.

Comment

You could use drag and drop.
        Open your folder in Windows/File Explorer and select just those files that you want to view (use Shift or Ctrl keys to select a block). Then click down on the top file in the selection and drag and drop the selection onto your Irfanview shortcut if you have one. If not you can open an Irfanview window and drop the selection into that instead.
        By doing it that way you only load the files in your selection, not the whole folder, and there is no sorting. The files stay in the same order as they were shown in Explorer.

If you have Windows 10 with File Explorer you may find that the Sort by... or Group by.. options will divide your folder up into useful blocks. Just clicking on the title of a group will select all the files in it and let you drag them to the Irfanview icon or window.

Note that you must drag and drop at least 2 files to use this method. If you drop just 1 the whole folder will be loaded
        Last edited by Mij; 29.10.2016, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X