Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported 64 bit Irfanview - options don't save

I read the FAQ
    " Q: Bug report: IrfanView won't save settings! Why?
    A: There are 2 possibilities, first: your INI (i_view32.ini) file (or whole IrfanView folder) is set to read-only, please change that; second: some "smart" washer/restore tools/plugins are washing too much, please exclude IrfanView files/folder from such actions. You can also redirect the INI file to another folder (see another question below); also possible during the installation. "

This is not a reason on my 64 bit Windows 7, home (& up-to-date patches).

I have the 32 Bit program and all has worked fine. I installed the 64 bit in a separate directory and found that print options kept reverting to default (paper A, no rotate, etc etc).
    The ini files are both in the same directory as their executables, and even though I copied the print options from the working 32 bit .ini file in it's directory to the in 64 bit .ini file in the 64 bit directory, print options were not used. Default values always return when reloaded for the 64 Bit Irfanaview.

Bob K.

I'm giving up on this one for the duration....
    I played with this for the last hour or so, attempting to get MY defaults set. After I restored the .INI files back to what had originally installed --
    MY defaults are now showing up when I bring up the printer - even though the .INI files, for the 64 bit directory (both i_view32.ini and I_view64.ini
    do NOT have my values in them!?! They are empty of nearly all settings and nothing of the "Letter" or "Rotate" settings I have in I_view32.ini in
    the 32bit Irfanview directory.

I have: C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView with the original 32 bit Irfanview, and C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanV-64] with the newly installed 64 bit

The one .INI file, I_view32.ini, in the 32bit directory is 10,897 bytes, and loaded many settings as well as my changes. Yesterday and today, while
    trying to get the 64 to work with MY defaults, I tried copying that old .INI to the 64 bit directory. It was ignored by 64 when I tested it. I finally
    posted the above 'bug report'

This afternoon, I restored all .INI files to what I'd saved before 'debugging'. With the 64 .INIs restored, both, 83 and 42 bytes ..both as distributed.
    BUT NOW -- when I bring up the 64 executable (& confirming so with TaskManager) MY defaults of Letter paper and Auto Rotate ARE showing in the
    print preview box!! -- without them in the .INIs ?!?

Is that .INI from the 32 directory being used by the 64 executable??? Those options are not in either .INI in the 64 directory! The only thing I didn't do was reboot to reset everything.. I don't understand where those defaults are coming from, and why..

Bob K.

Comment

As mentioned, for instance, in this recent post - and some older ones -, the active ini files sometimes appear in weird places.

In Settings > Start / Exit options, I would expect

Code:
      C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\IrfanView\i_view32.ini
      and

Code:
      C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\IrfanView\i_view64.ini
      in the bottom row.

To check, which file is actually used, I would locate all i_view*.ini files with a quick file searching tool like Everything (free and portable), and sort them by Date Modified. Not an elegant approach, but quite straightforward.

(And ups, I have 16 incarnations on my PC, time, to delete some.)
      Last edited by Jacal; 02.11.2016, 03:12 AM.
      IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

If you installed the program in "Program Files", then you need to give "Everyone" a write permission to:

C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view64.ini

I had the same problem. It seems like, the ini file should still be in the user directory, even if the installation is shared across users.

Comment

Working...
        X