Disable Home/End while scrolling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disable Home/End while scrolling

When I am viewing a large number of images in a directory it is not unusual for me to accidentally press the Home or End keys and thus lose my stride.

For example: I have a directory with about 200 images. I scroll through them using the left and right arrow. Then I accidentally press the Home key which takes me right back to the first image. Thus I have to scroll through them all over again in order to get back to where I was.

Under the View menu option, it is indicated that you have to press Ctrl+Home in order to go to the "First File in Directory" and Ctrl+End in order to go to the "Last File in Directory". Yet this can be done without bothering with the Ctrl key.

It would make life simpler if going to the first or last files in the directory would require also pressing on the Ctrl key while the Home and End keys were just used to navigate around an individual file.

I agree that this might be better, but changing it would upset long-term users. The help file says:

Home Scroll to begin (horizontal scroll) OR load first file in directory

so it's not a bug, and I don't see it getting far as a feature request. If you use IrfanView for a while you will get used to it.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

It may not be a bug but it would make things simpler. As for the long-term issue, people can adapt. I have been using computers for almost 20 years and have had to adapt to new programs, methods, keystrokes etc.

I have been using IrfanView for years. It is the best image viewer out there, but this jumping suddenly to the first or last file in the directory is a real bother, not something that you can just "get used to".
      Last edited by mct16; 03.11.2016, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mct16 View Post
        It may not be a bug but it would make things simpler. As for the long-term issue, people can adapt. I have been using computers for almost 20 years and have had to adapt to new programs, methods, keystrokes etc.

I have been using IrfanView for years. It is the best image viewer out there, but this jumping suddenly to the first or last file in the directory is a real bother, not something that you can just "get used to".
        So other long term users should adapt, but you cannot? How does that work?
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Autohotkey is your friend

This is a classic problem that a little Autohotkey script will solve. Example - beep when you touch Home or End while Irfanview displays images at full screen:

Code:
          #NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
          SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
          SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

#IfWInActive, ahk_class FullScreenClass

Home::
          End::
          	SoundBeep, 4000, 80
          Return
          That is just an example. You can do whatever you like insteadof sounding a signal.
          If it hurts not to drint, don't waste the bottle then.

Comment

Another solution

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
            So other long term users should adapt, but you cannot? How does that work?
            No, what I am saying is that we can all adapt.

If a person is used to pressing the End key in order to go to the last file in the directory, it will not take long for him to get used to using Ctrl+End instead.

Here's a suggestion: How about an add-on with which users can assign their own keystrokes or disable them? Is that possible?

Comment

I agree that this might be better, but changing it would upset long-term users. The help file says:

Home Scroll to begin (horizontal scroll) OR load first file in directory

so it's not a bug, and I don't see it getting far as a feature request. If you use IrfanView for a while you will get used to it.
              So what precisely will you get used to? The help file does not tell you when it will scroll or when it will load the first file in the directory instead. Do you know? It took me a long time to work it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                So what precisely will you get used to? The help file does not tell you when it will scroll or when it will load the first file in the directory instead. Do you know? It took me a long time to work it out.
                It will scroll when there are scroll bars, i.e. when the image is bigger than the window, but that's not the problem reported by the OP.

Long-term users will surely be used to pressing only Home or End, rather than Ctrl + Home or End for either action, so if the FQ was accepted they would have to change their habit, requiring an extra key to perform the actions that they have done for decades with Home/End.

Comment

It will scroll when there are scroll bars, i.e. when the image is bigger than the window, but that's not the problem reported by the OP.
                  The OP said that he presses the Home and End keys accidentally. I rarely press a wrong key by pure accident but I do often press those buttons deliberately expecting to scroll the image left or right and instead it jumps to another image. I took it that the OP probably meant that too.

However it is part of a larger problem because if I want to use Home and End to fast scroll across a big zoomed image I also want to use Page Up and Page Down to fast scroll up or down, and the arrow keys and mouse wheel to scroll in all directions more slowly. For that I have to uncheck the "Jump to next image if Page keys or Mouse Wheel used (if vertical scrollbar visible)" option in the Settings dialog, otherwise all the Up/Down hotkeys or mouse scroll options cause a jump to another image irrespective of whether scroll bars are visible or not.

With the option unchecked I can safely scroll up or down if the vertical scrollbar is visible and can safely scroll left or right if the horizontal scrollbar is visible. The fun starts though when one of the scrollbars is visible and the other is not. You really have to be on your toes to keep track of what keys are safe to press and what are not. I usually work with a window set up roughly the shape of one of my landscape photographs so that both scrollbars switch on and off together as you zoom an image of that format in or out. With a portrait image though there is a wide range of zoom ratios when only the vertical scrollbar is on. You can happily zoom in and out and scroll with up/down keys to find details of the image that you want to study but all left/right keys are off limits. They all send you to a new image (and reset the zoom and position back to default). That is when I most often press the wrong key by accident. Bizarrely you can safely use all the mouse wheel pan and zoom in/out actions in this region where only the vertical scrollbar is visible. The left/right scroll (shift+mousewheel) just changes to up/down. Never take your eyes off that scrollbar though as you scroll out. The moment it turns off, trying to scroll in any direction with keys or mouse and it's goodbye current image.

When working in a window there are other ways to scroll. You can use the scrollbars, you can right click and drag the image, you can draw a selection box around the region you want to study and left click in it to display just that region of the image without any manual zoom and scrolling needed.

What I really want to do though is to zoom in and scroll around an image in fullscreen view without constantly jumping to another image. It is supposed to work the same as in a window, but with no scrollbars, and mouse clicks not possible because they also now jump the image forward or back, it is quite a challenge. I have recently been trying to persuade Irfan Skiljan to make a few changes to make it easier to work in fullscreen but with little success I am sorry to say.

Why I am trying to do it is another story which I shall not launch into now but I would like to know if anyone else wants to go there.
                  Last edited by Mij; 06.11.2016, 09:51 PM.

Comment

I have mostly adapted to the existing set-up, so that mis-hits are rare these days.

Just a couple of observations:
                    • Even though I use HOME/END a lot to go to the first/last image in a folder, I never noticed that HOME/END will scroll when the respective scrollbars are visible until reading this thread.
                    • scrolling to the next/previous image when I actually want to navigate within the image (arrow keys) is a small nuisance (and I would love to have a disable-option here) but it becomes rather big-ish a nuisance when I have edited the image and I don't get an are-you-sure message.
                      There are at least two situations when IV doesn't properly recognize an edited-image situation:
                      (a) multiple edits when the last edit was undone
                      (b) when having accessed the image from the thumbnails window and then made changes to it

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Working...
                    X