Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DNG files from Lumia 950 are openning for >20 sek.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DNG files from Lumia 950 are openning for >20 sek.

I use IrfanView 4.4.2 x64 on Windows 8 x64 laptop with dial core processor.
    The DNG files from my Windows phones - Nokia Lumia 1520, 1020 and Microsoft Lumia 950 are openning for more than 20 seconds each. I have no problem to open for less than a half second CR2 files from my Canon 550D.

Where is the problem?

Check settings, plugins, and make sure you're opening the full CR2 file and not just a JPG preview image.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The raw format seems to be the problem. I have downloaded some samples from here.

Even if set to "Try to load embedded preview image", IrfanView can't do that, so it has to render the raw file, which takes time.

ExifTool, set to extract all types of preview images, also finds no jpeg preview, it only extracts a single weird looking (small, dark and purple) PreviewTIFF image from every raw photo from Lumia 1020.

IrfanView - and dcraw based editors like LightZone and RawTherapee - seem to be using these tiffs to create thumbnails.

With Adobe's DNG Converter, you can get notably smaller DNG files with full-sized jpeg preview images embedded. I know nothing about Nokia's DNG format, so I can't say whether this conversion is safe.
      IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Thank You,
        The problem was that I had more than 2000 photos in the camera folder I've been downloaded to my PC and I had to sort. I did it file by file in Windows Explorer by double click on right arrow and Enter to open only JPG files to decide do I need one photo (in JPG) or to delete it with the DNG file. It tooks me quite much time but now I have more 200+ photos to sort. It should be nice if IrfanView open the DNG files quick as CR2, I don't use the program to edit them, only if I'll use them in Facebook and they look nice I use Shift+G functionality, seems like quite close to Adobe Photoshop on my phone.

Comment

I find that a folder of RAW images loads fast in the Thumbnail viewer. Try setting the Thumbnail options to 300x200 and use that to manage your images.

Even if it does take ages to generate the thumbs, you can do something else while its processing.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
          X