Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auto-skip a file during browsing if file header can't be read.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Auto-skip a file during browsing if file header can't be read.

By adding "|" character to end of custom file type list, Irfanview can read extension-less files, which is useful in many situations. But it also pops up error message "Can't read file header! Unknown file format, empty file or file not found!" when the format of extension-less file is not supported. If such unsupported files are in large number in a directory, this error message becomes a nagging thing as one has to press escape key every time unsupported file is read.

An option in the "Browsing/Editing" section of Properties/Setting to auto-skip files whose header can't be read will be of immense benefit. As I can envisage, it will not require much programming effort to implement: modify the program to check for "auto-skip" setting before displaying the error message - if auto-skip is set, move to next file. Additionally, the error message may be displayed in bottom status bar if auto-skip is set.

I hope Irfan Skiljan will oblige us by implementing this small feature!

It seems to me that the reason to enable reading of extensionless files would be to fix them by letting IrfanView add the right extension. To do that, it must first check that they are a valid image.

If you don't want to see the error messages, disable the display of extensionless files until you need it.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by ia918 View Post
      By adding "|" character to end of custom file type list, Irfanview can read extension-less files, which is useful in many situations. But it also pops up error message "Can't read file header! Unknown file format, empty file or file not found!" when the format of extension-less file is not supported. If such unsupported files are in large number in a directory, this error message becomes a nagging thing as one has to press escape key every time unsupported file is read.
      I hope Irfan Skiljan will oblige us by implementing this small feature!
      I think that the option you are requesting may already be there, but in the "File Handling" section of "Properties/Setting" not "Browsing/Editing. It is in the "Save/Rename" group and the checkbox is labelled "Ask to rename if incorrect extension". Unchecking that will not prevent the Error message pop-up dialog when Irfanview genuinely cannot open the extension-less file but it will prevent the Warning message box pop-up that tells you that the file has the wrong extension and asks if you want it to be corrected. Irfanview can open quite a lot of extension-less graphics files and will do so automatically without any pop-ups when you have that "rename" option unchecked.

If you want an option in Irfanview to auto-skip all files that it cannot display as an image instead of showing the error message, then I might support that, but an option to auto-skip just those extension-less files that it cannot show seems rather too specific, especially as you have deliberately changed Irfanview's normal way of blocking extension-less files by adding that extra "|" character to the custom file type list.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post

If you want an option in Irfanview to auto-skip all files that it cannot display as an image instead of showing the error message, then I might support that...
        Yes, I actually want this very option in Irfanview, for the reason explained below.

..but an option to auto-skip just those extension-less files that it cannot show seems rather too specific, especially as you have deliberately changed Irfanview's normal way of blocking extension-less files by adding that extra "|" character to the custom file type list[
        I am thankful that "Irfanview's normal way of blocking extension-less files" can be changed. It helps in case of recovery of files from faulty or corrupted hard disk. The recovered files (using Recuva) are often having name like "012345" without any extension and Irfanview helps in viewing supported files, including pdf files, which is very handy in finding useful files from thousands of recovered files. Many other recovered files often have correct name but wrong extension, still Irfanview displays them if the file format is supported. The only problem is the pop up window in case of unknown format, as it slows down considerably the browsing of recovered files.

I hope it explains why I have requested an option for auto-skipping of files that have unknown format.

Comment

Disable error dialog when browsing images

I'm working on a project that generates lots of still images from video. Irfanview is very good for browsing these but there is one problem: if the image has an error, e.g. it is zero size or has got corrupted, a message box is thrown up and you have to click ok or press enter to continue. It would be nice if there was an option to just display an error message as an image. Or a blank image. Or (less preferable) just skip the image and got to the next valid one.

Comment

If the most common error is zero-sized files, just sort by size and delete them in Windows Explorer.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
            X