Sort directory files [by Current Folder's Preference]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supported Sort directory files [by Current Folder's Preference]

I mainly need this feature because I'm tired of changing the sorting settings. Multiple folders on my computer are set differently, one set by name and others by date. Having to change between the two gets annoying.

Currently [Sort directory files] has the following options to choose from.

by Name
    by Name (natural/logic order)
    by Date
    by EXIF Date (date taken)
    by Size
    by Extension (file type)
    No sort

It would be cool if you guys had another option that sorts the images based on how they're already sorted in the folder the image was opened from. Like in the title, call it something like:

by Current Folder's Preference

Thanks for reading.
    Version 4.42 - 32 bit

Edit: Just to be 100% clear, I'm talking about opening an image file directly from a windows folder, not from the file browser in IrfanView
    Last edited by AirplaneRandy; 15.11.2016, 03:32 AM.

You can do it already using drag and drop. With the folder open in windows explorer and the files sorted how you want them, select them all or just the ones you want. Then click down on the first file in the selection and drag and drop it either onto an Irfanview shortcut icon or into an already open Irfanview window. All the selected files remain in the order they were in the explorer window.

I think that drag and drop may be the only way that Irfanview can discover what order you have put the explorer files in. I have not seen the option you are asking for even in Microsoft picture viewers.
    Last edited by Mij; 14.11.2016, 05:55 PM.

Comment

The thing is Mij, I'm pretty sure it's already much faster just to do what I'm already doing than to do what you're suggesting.
      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 15.11.2016, 09:14 AM.

Comment

I think you probably misunderstand what you are asking for. As I understand it, the order that the files are extracted from a windows folder are what you see in Irfanview when you select "No sort". For an NTFS file system that means in alphabetical order, which if the computer language is set to "English" comes out the same as what Irfanview calls "By name".

I assumed that is not what you wanted. The order that you see by selecting "Sort by..." in the View tab of Windows explorer (or File explorer in Win 10) is how they are sorted for displaying in that program. If you include the options in the "Choose columns.." drop down and in "Group by.." there are now hundreds of different orders in which they can be sorted and shown in explorer. Regardless of how they are shown though, the position of the files within the folder remain unchanged and the standard windows file handling systems will still deliver the list of them to another program in the original order.

That is why I said that I think the only way of getting a list of the files in the order that they are displayed in Explorer is by using drag and drop.
        Last edited by Mij; 16.11.2016, 05:12 PM. Reason: Added a footnote, then deleted it.

Comment

I'm bumping this old thread I made because this is still a feature that I wish to be added to this program. I really wish there was a way for IrfanView to automatically change the sorting method to match the file sorting in the folder that the image was opened from. It is just too much of a hassle to switch between by Name (natural/logic order) and by Date when I view images in different folders. What Mij suggested a long time ago is just way too tedious to do every time, his suggestion is much slower than just changing the sorting method. It's hard to believe that there is no way to implement a way for Irfanview to do this.

The only work around I can see for this is to add a keystroke shortcut for this. Heck you can add a feature that will allow the user to change the sorting method on a folder by folder basis, with each folder having its own unique sorting method set by the user. This eliminates the need to have it be done automatically since that can't be done.

No Sort is indeed not what I am asking for.

IrfanView 4.52 64-bit Windows 7
          Last edited by AirplaneRandy; 06.01.2019, 05:08 AM. Reason: Added more to the second paragraph.

Comment

Have you forwarded the request to Irfan Skiljan yet? Mij thinks it cannot be done, and no one else needs it, so the thread status is unchanged after two years.

Read the sticky thread.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I want the exact same thing. Sadly my thread about it was moved. I guess since this is from 2016 and it hasn't been implemented, no one cares about it. I will stop using IrfanView until I can view images the way Microsoft Photos lets me browse them (by date modified/folder order).

Comment

Originally posted by Karla1996 View Post
                I want the exact same thing. Sadly my thread about it was moved. I guess since this is from 2016 and it hasn't been implemented, no one cares about it. I will stop using IrfanView until I can view images the way Microsoft Photos lets me browse them (by date modified/folder order).
                If you care about it, what good will it do to stop using IrfanView until you get what you want? No one here cares if you use it or not. This is a user-to-user forum.

Have you sent the request to Irfan Skiljan? Did you read the sticky thread?
                Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I agree with you! Not long here yet but I share your opinion!

Comment

Working...
                  X