This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by damnyankee20 View Post
    My apologies about no including system info. I currently use Windows 7 and tried both 32 bit and 64 bit. There was a tweak online in the Paint Dialog settings (unclick a box in the Dialog Options - which I did, didn't work) and now I get an error where I can't paste into IrFanView at all. *sigh*

I think what I'm going to do again (for the 4th time) is completely uninstall (including Registry cleanup) and start over and see if I can find an older XP version on IrFanView online. I've used this software for years with 95% of my photos/imaging edits and have become dependent upon it. I don't like to fire up Photoshop for basic edits that IrFanView handles with ease.

I'll check in from time to time.
    I use the 32 bit version a lot and have not had any problems with the Paint dialog for a number of years. I now use Windows 10 but most of that time it was Windows 7. I use the 64bit version occasionally but have not yet seen any problems there either.
    What is the tweak you speak of? Irfan Skiljan did do some tweaks to get the 64bit version to work but I do not remember users being told to unclick any options, and AFAIK no changes were made to the 32 bit version.

Before you reinstall everything I suggest that you delete your i_view32.ini or i_view64.ini file in your AppData folder and let Irfanview rebuild it next time you open the program. Registry cleanup rarely affects Irfanview because all the options are held in the ini file.

Comment

Stil some issues with Paint plugin

I am still experiencing crashes when using the Paint Dialog Box (currently V4.44) in both WIN7-ULT and WIN10-PRO. It seems to be intermittent now, as it doesn't happen every time as before. It does happen in both the 32 and 64-bit versions, as I have tried both (after uninstalling the other, of course!). It is very frustrating as I, like other users rely on IrfanView for 80-90% of my photo editing requirements! I use that feature to add (text) dates, locations and the name(s) of the subject for a "cover photo" in most of my projects.

Yes, it is that good! Thanks for all you do.
      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 24.01.2017, 07:59 PM. Reason: Fixed text formatting

Comment

I would not use IrfanPaint for adding text to a photo. It's not reversible or editable once added.

I would place the photo in a DTP or Drawing application, add the text as a layer, then export the cover as a bitmap, keeping the original for later updates or corrections.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Always VERY careful with adjustments!

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          I would not use IrfanPaint for adding text to a photo. It's not reversible or editable once added.

I would place the photo in a DTP or Drawing application, add the text as a layer, then export the cover as a bitmap, keeping the original for later updates or corrections.
          Thanks for the prompt reply!

I always [SAVE-AS] the cover photo or any adjusted one as a separate file, so the original is never changed and always retained. I also reduce the file size of the covers, as it prints the same in 4X6 format but also can be sent by e-mail to the client more easily. I usually do 2-4 different "cover photo" versions to allow the client to choose the one they like best.

If I am not happy with the placement, I can always undo [CTRL-Z] the change (but not without first having to EXIT the Paint plugin!). I use IrfanView for the explicit reason that I don't need PaintShopPro for 80-90% of my post work!!
          Last edited by Deplorable1; 24.01.2017, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deplorable1 View Post
            I always [SAVE-AS] the cover photo or any adjusted one as a separate file, so the original is never changed and always retained.
            Maybe so, but you still have to redo the text all over again. If, say, you created a Magazine cover for January, then wanted to make a new one for February, if you used a DTP or Drawing program, you would simply edit the text, or switch the photo too. Any work you had done adding drop shadows, text spacing, rotation, curvature, etc., would not need to be done again. Since it's only £20 for such an application, and you're doing this commercially, it compares well to €10 for IrfanView.

Nothing wrong with IrfanView. It does loads of things better than my drawing or DTP apps, and even my Photo-editor, but it's always best to select the right tool for the job.
            Attached Files
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post

I use much of the tools in the paint plugin, particularly the straighten and clone options. It would still be very helpful & nice if they didn't crash the program intermittently! :-p

It's bad enough that WIN10 "broke" nearly every software app that I have used for my church for as much as a decade or more!! ;-(
              Last edited by Deplorable1; 28.01.2017, 01:56 AM.

Comment

I also experience similar crashes with the paint dialog, but can't quite figure out how to reproduce them. What I wanted to also mention is I've noticed the F12 keyboard shortcut to open the paint dialog no longer seems to work over the last few revisions. I don't think I've installed any other program that would change the keyboard mapping. Minor issue, but would like to see the crashing issue fixed if possible. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit Home and the latest version of 32-bit Irfanview (Ver. 4.44). I have also tried the 64-bit version of IV, but it seemed to crash much more for other reasons (but this version was relatively new then also). Irfanview is by far the greatest, most versatile image program I've ever found. Been using it for well over 10 years now. Many thanks to the developer and contributors for this fine program.

Comment

The F12 shortcut is still working for me. You must load an image before you press F12 though. The Paint dialog will not open if there is no image loaded.

I really cannot suggest any reason for the crashes. I used The Paint option in the early days when it was prone to crash but those issues were all fixed and I have not had a crash for a long, long time. I have tried some of the actions that used to cause crashes back then and none of them do it now.

Comment

I just registered an account to report the same problem as OP. Lately irfanview has become completely unusable to me too to do any kind of editing, it "freezes" almost immediately.
                    I am on windows 7 x64
                    I have currently 2 versions of irfanview on my system, the 4.30 x86 and the 4.44 x64.
                    With neither of then i am unable to complete any simple work like eg open a jpeg, draw a filled rectangle, reduce the image and save the result.
                    Freezes may happen during any of these steps (i just managed to get to the save step on the x86, with the x64 it freeze when reducing the image size).

Example of windows info when freezing for the x64:
                    -------------------------------------------------
                    Description:
                    A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
                    Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
                    Application Name: i_view64.exe
                    Application Version: 4.4.4.0
                    Application Timestamp: 5857ba26
                    Hang Signature: 0458
                    Hang Type: 16897
                    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
                    Locale ID: 2067
                    Additional Hang Signature 1: 04587e291305730c55be8bf54b7163a4
                    Additional Hang Signature 2: beac
                    Additional Hang Signature 3: beac3f4fda03ba37d6718c9191de0123
                    Additional Hang Signature 4: 0458
                    Additional Hang Signature 5: 04587e291305730c55be8bf54b7163a4
                    Additional Hang Signature 6: beac
                    Additional Hang Signature 7: beac3f4fda03ba37d6718c9191de0123

Example of windows info when freezing on x86
                    ---------------------------------------------
                    Description:
                    A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
                    Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
                    Application Name: i_view32.exe
                    Application Version: 4.3.0.0
                    Application Timestamp: 4df9e6d8
                    Hang Signature: 5f7e
                    Hang Type: 513
                    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
                    Locale ID: 2067
                    Additional Hang Signature 1: 5f7e080761cf58bd48daa0c07eab3902
                    Additional Hang Signature 2: f04e
                    Additional Hang Signature 3: f04eb48beab829c54069459b2d8dbdc9
                    Additional Hang Signature 4: 5f7e
                    Additional Hang Signature 5: 5f7e080761cf58bd48daa0c07eab3902
                    Additional Hang Signature 6: f04e
                    Additional Hang Signature 7: f04eb48beab829c54069459b2d8dbdc9

Is there any logging/debugging info we can enable to get more info about what is causing the trouble ?

Thanks,
                    Bram

EDIT: i also tried uninstalling and reinstealling the x64 version to start "fresh". My settings are stored in the application dir (not user dir) which was deleted completely so there should not be and lingering old settings (unless they are in the registry or taken from the 4.3 version ?) . I also did not install plugins for the x64 (though if i go to help plugin info it lists effects.dll, icons.dll. jpg_transfor.dll, metadata.dll, paint.dll, regioncapture.dll, slideshow.exe, stub_plugin.exe, tools.dll, video.dll. I do not know if these are installed by default, or that he somehow reuses this from previous installations ? The paint.dll has version B0.4.13.73 (but greek symbol for the B)
                    Last edited by BramEPC; 05.03.2017, 08:43 PM. Reason: Extra info

Comment

Did you read this post?

Comment

Yes i did

But :
                        - in the meantime we have a new version (2016-12-20) which lists some porting work to unicode ("Metadata PlugIn ported to Unicode") as one of the changes which was suppose to happen after "I will first try to fix the Paint plugin crahes"
                        - latest posts here are saying they do not have crashes [anymore]

So i wanted to make clear that for me the problem is still not solved, with as much possible technical info as i currently know to gather for irfanview + paint plugin (original author (http://www.mitalia.net/irfanpaint/) does not seem to update the sources anymore ?).

I would suggest locking the thread if you do not want any more additions to it ?

Comment

Originally posted by BramEPC View Post
                          I would suggest locking the thread if you do not want any more additions to it ?
                          People would just start new threads.

Install 4.44 32-bit and please fill in your forum profile. If 4.44 also crashes, you will have to wait for a later version.

Comment

Please fix the memory leak in PAINT add-on

The PAINT add-on has a memory leak? deadly embrace? bug which causes repeated IV crashes when it is used. The Add-on is shipped with IrfanView as default and provides a very useful capability. However it repeatedly crashes IrfanView.

The author no longer supports PAINT but the source is available. He suggests it may be a memory leak.

See Irfanview frequently hangs when using Paint addon where I have done some diagnostic tests suggesting it may be two process threads in deadlock. The thread has had nearly 6,000 views suggesting it is of interest to many other users.

Search with paint crash for many more threads detailing the same problem.
                            Last edited by John_Ha; 05.05.2017, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John_Ha View Post
                              The PAINT add-on has a memory leak? deadly embrace? bug which causes repeated IV crashes when it is used. The Add-on is shipped with IrfanView as default and provides a very useful capability. However it repeatedly crashes IrfanView.

The author no longer supports PAINT but the source is available. He suggests it may be a memory leak.

See Irfanview frequently hangs when using Paint addon where I have done some diagnostic tests suggesting it may be two process threads in deadlock. The thread has had nearly 6,000 views suggesting it is of interest to many other users.

Search with paint crash for many more threads detailing the same problem.
                              This is not a feature request.

The bug is well known, and a top priority for Irfan Skiljan. No doubt he will fix it, if and when he can.

Comment

Paint dialogue crashes Irfanview, specific circumstances

Paint version 0.4.13.73

Irfanview x64, 4.4.4.0

Windows 7 sp1 x64, updated, graphics drivers updated to intel 10.18.14.4332 and NVidia 382.05

Happens on pasting an image from clipboard, either saving it in Irfanview or not, then opening the paint dialogue to (for e.g.) paint white over private details.

The instant I click the mouse to paint, Irfanview crashes.

Event log says

Provider

[ Name] Application Error
                                - EventID 1000
                                [ Qualifiers] 0
                                Level 2
                                Task 100
                                Keywords 0x80000000000000
                                - TimeCreated
                                [ SystemTime] 2017-09-26T13:27:50.000000000Z
                                EventRecordID 137702
                                Channel Application
                                Computer ****

i_view64.exe
                                5857ba26
                                ntdll.dll
                                521eaf24
                                c0000374
                                00000000000c4102
                                10a4
                                01d336cb1e9a60e3
                                C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view64.exe
                                C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
                                7d91f608-a2be-11e7-bf70-80fa5b0013ca
                                Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 26.09.2017, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X