"Save as" dialog problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Save as" dialog problem

With a new or already saved image opened in IrfanView, if I hit S to open the Save as dialog box and start to type a name, a very annoying problem happens.

I have PNG set in Save as type. But when I start to type a name and there is, say, a JPG or GIF image or PDF document in the destination folder that has a name with the initial letters I type, the File name field gets that name in a kind of automatic way and the Save as type field changes the file type to JPG, GIF, PDF or other.

I don't know if it is an IrfanView or Windows 7 problem. Any ideas?
    Desktop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i7 • 12 GB RAM
    Laptop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i5 • 6 GB RAM
    IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

It's neither a Windows problem nor an IrfanView problem. The names are only suggestions — if you don't accept any, but continue to type the full name that you want, the file will be saved as the right file type with the correct extension. In my screen shot, it was saved as FileUpload.png when I continued to type the full name (without the extension) and pressed Enter.
    Attached Files
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      It's neither a Windows problem nor an IrfanView problem. The names are only suggestions — if you don't accept any, but continue to type the full name that you want, the file will be saved as the right file type with the correct extension. In my screen shot, it was saved as FileUpload.png when I continued to type the full name (without the extension) and pressed Enter.
      Maybe I didn't explain the problem well... See what I'm talking about in the image.

Attached Files
      Last edited by Paultx; 02.12.2016, 02:24 PM.
      IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

Comment

I think I found some kind of solution for this issue. I searched for the Windows 7 autocomplete feature and found that it also has other stuff called "auto-suggest", "auto-append", and these are the probable reason why that problem happens when I try to save files in IrfanView.

First, I found this: How to turn off autocomplete for filenames in Windows 7?

But as I don't have admin privileges to edit de Registry on my workplace PC, I just could use this: Windows Explorer AutoComplete - Turn On or Off - Windows 7 Help Forums

I turned off the AutoComplete in Windows Explorer and now, when I open the Save as dialog in IrfanView, it shows only the drop-down menu with a list of names that change as I type.
        IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

Comment

Working...
        X