X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batch Renaming Problem

I have some photo files named in the following format:

Tray 02 - 0yy where "yy" is a number.

I want to rename the files by changing "Tray 02" to "T02 - " and not change "yy". I've tried several schemes using the Batch Rename menu item but none of them seem to work.

I am using Irfanview 4.41. How can I do this?

Don't use the existing filename in the pattern.

Just use T ## (or however many digits you need).

As always, don't overwrite files, output to a test folder to see if it works as desired first.

The latest version is 4.42. It may not be long before 4.43 is released. Though nobody hinted that it would be released soon, the last release was in March, so it's already overdue.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 07.12.2016, 05:52 PM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      Don't use the existing filename in the pattern.

Just use T ## (or however many digits you need).

As always, don't overwrite files, output to a test folder to see if it works as desired first.

The latest version is 4.42. It may not be long before 4.43 is released. Though nobody hinted that it would be released soon, the last release was in March, so it's already overdue.
      I don't think I made myself clear enough. Thank you for your help, and I'm sorry for the confusion.

I scanned some slides. I did not scan all the slides in a tray but I did scan them sequentially. I named them as follows:

"Tray 02 - 0yy" where "yy" is the number of the slide as it sits in its tray. Note that I did not scan all slides.

Now I would like to rename the files by removing the "Tray 02 - 0" and replacing it with "T02-"I want to retain, but not change "yy". The new filename will look like:

"T02-yy". I hope this explains it a bit clearer.

Comment

This (see screenshot) worked as you describe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	iv_rename3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	81533
        Last edited by jazzman; 07.12.2016, 06:19 PM.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Thank you for your help. It does work as I described. But...

It seems that Irfanview Thumbnails has a problem.

When I do a Batch Rename, set my parameters, and click the "Run test rename", everything appears to be okay. But if the very next thing I do is click "Start Batch", I get an error for every file in the run. The error says "Destination file exists!". Then I have to completely exit and restart the program. Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong?
          Last edited by pipsisiwah; 07.12.2016, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Sorry, I can't imagine what's wrong. - I tried again just now (WinXP/IV 4.38), also starting the batch dialogue from the thumbnail window (which I don't usually do) and it works fine with "test rename" followed by "Start Batch", just the way you described.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

If you run a batch file a second time then you will get the overwrite warning. Delete the files in the destination folder before running the batch process again. Turning off the overwrite warning is not recommended unless you really know what you are doing.
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
              X