Conversion and shrink problem with windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Conversion and shrink problem with windows 10

Hello everyone. When I want to convert a large number of files from png to jpg, and shrink the size(riot plugin) everything goes well with windows 7 and it takes about 2-3 min.
    But I have a problem with windows 10. If I want to do the same thing with the exact same files, it can take up to 30min.
    It just blocks on every files and unless I move my mouse in front of the result screen, it is not moving to the next file.
    In other words, the conversion is not going forward unless I move my mouse in the conversion screen (Please see the attachment file).

Unless I did not look well enough, I did not find a similar thread, but you are welcome to show me if I am wrong.

Thanks

JF
    Attached Files
    J.F.T.

Your output files seem to be PNG, not JPG. Perhaps that is why it takes so much longer? The RIOT plugin is only available in JPG Options. Maybe you selected the PNGOUT option. That would take a very long time.

I did notice a bug with IrfanView not responding if I start a batch process, then click on the IrfanView window, but does not seem to be the problem that you're seeing.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Sorry for the delay, this is not the original screen shot, I made one for the discussion, to show where I have to play with the mouse cursor to make it work, sorry about that
      Last edited by jftasse; 14.12.2016, 07:01 PM.
      J.F.T.

Comment

I ran a test with some icons, but without more details of the file set that you're converting and the target file size you set, and how many files, etc., there no way for anyone to test this without spending all day.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Then you can forget about it because to upload the files would be impossible, too many and too big.

Like I said earlier in the post they where all png converted to jpg. The png were about 15-20 MB, so I converted them to jpg and at the same time shrink them to about 1.4 to 1.7 MB.

Like I mentioned in the beginning of the thread, on Windows 7 no problem, nothing get stuck and it take about 2min. But with the exact same set of files and with the same options in Windows 10, I have to move the mouse cursor in the conversion screen to get things moving. I waited to see what would happen and like I said earlier, it took about 30 min and that is because I moved the mouse cursor.

I hope that now it is more clear, sorry my first language is not english

JF
          Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 15.12.2016, 09:26 AM. Reason: corrected typo
          J.F.T.

Comment

It would be easy to forget about it, as it takes a lot of effort to get the details out of you.

Nobody said anything about uploading the files, we just need to know how many and how big they are, so that we can run a comparable test.

You told us the input size and the output size, but not how many files.

Converting from JPG to PNG is slow, and while a file is being processed, the batch window will show as "not responding", but that does not mean the process has crashed. It's just too busy to respond at the moment.

Converting from PNG to JPG is fast. Large images are always going to take a few seconds each. I see no problems here. The busy cursor shows for each file, but the process continues without any intervention.

I am running a batch process now with 25 PNG files, converting to JPG using the RIOT plugin set to 1500 Kbytes. It takes less than 5 seconds to process each image. The whole set completed in less than 2 minutes. The time stamp was either 09:36 or 09:37.
            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 15.12.2016, 09:39 AM.

Comment

A longer test with 72 input files (PNG about 16 Mbyte each).

Without the RIOT plugin, just letting IrfanView do the conversion, without changing the dimensions or anything else, it took about 1-2 seconds per image.

With the RIOT plugin, it's taking about 5 seconds per image. Still no problem with it locking up. I just let it run in the background while writing this post, and it soon completes. Times stamps range from 10:38 to 10:42, so less than 4 minutes for 72 images.

Comment

Before I ran a Batch process using Riot I would open a typical image in Irfanview and use Save for Web from the File menu to test and set up the Riot plugin. If it is a high resolution image it will ask you if you want to reduce it in size and then offer you a choice of filters to do it with. The normal default filter (Lanczos3) is very slow. Choose a faster one as default and the Batch should run much faster.

Comment

Working...
                X