Save default file - minor annoyance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Save default file - minor annoyance

Hi I have been using IV for a long time and enjoy the speed of it.

When I 'save' an image, I assume it would save in the same folder that I opened it from, unless I 'save as'.

IV saves it in 'office~My Pictures' as opposed to 'Libraries ~ My Pictures' which is where I go to get images. I forget this sometimes and then go looking for my images.

Can I change this to ensure it saves to the actual file I opened it from?

OS = Windows 7
    IV = 4.4.1 32 bit

Always use Save as.. if you want to save a file in the same folder from which you opened it.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      Always use Save as.. if you want to save a file in the same folder from which you opened it.
      I accept what you say but I am surprised! Is it that hard to link save to where it came from?

Comment

Originally posted by ardy View Post
        Is it that hard to link save to where it came from?
        No it isn't, but it is impossible to satisfy everyone on what should be done. Consider for example that you use Save As, choosing a different folder and/or name to save the file, and then continue editing the image. Are you now editing the image with the new name and folder, or are you still editing the one with the original name and folder? Which is the "correct" one for Irfanview to use if you now press Save?

That is perhaps the simplest example but over the years on this forum I have heard arguments for what is and what is not the "correct" thing to do in many other situations too.

Below are the settings I use on the Start/Exit and File Handling tabs of the Properties dialog and it almost always returns the original folder and file name when I select Save. Even so I still have the "Display Save Dialog for File>Save menu" option checked so that I can check that it is what I want before pressing the OK button.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Start_Exit options.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	81534 Click image for larger version

Name:	File handling.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	81535

Comment

You can change this behavior with the .ini file.
          (on my Windows10 computer it's: C:\Users\'MyUserName'\AppData\Roaming\IrfanView\i_ view64.ini)
          In the i_view64.ini file, under [Save], change the SaveDir='whatever' to SaveDir=OpenDir
          Then set the .ini file to 'Read Only' in the file attributes so that Irfan View can't change it again after it opens another photo or whatever.

I did it this way because I kept saving my edited files too quickly (to move onto the next file edit),
          and I wouldn't notice that it was always saving them into the last directory that I saved to previously,
          rather than the directory where the original file was opened from.
          I was always using Save As,
          because I assumed Save would simply override the original file, without allowing me to rename it.
          For me, Save As defaults were not what I expected they would be.
          I also had to change the default file type to .jpg because it kept saving my .jpgs as .pngs,
          which I didn't notice at first because I was in a hurry.
          Sure I guess it's my fault for not understanding the unique quirks to how Irfan does things;
          I'm just accustomed to the more common save and save as methods from all the other software that I use.

Comment

Originally posted by theOuterSpectrum View Post
            I'm just accustomed to the more common save and save as methods from all the other software that I use.
            Necroposting (replying to old threads) is not particularly helpful. The thread starter has not posted since December 2016, and does not have email notifications enabled. I deleted your post bumping a much older thread.

One support thread and one feature request thread are sufficient for your tip.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
            X