Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Slideshow exe decode error

  1. #1

    Question Slideshow exe decode error

    I saved a slieshow as exe file; unforunately I cannot open the exe file ; the following error message apears: Decode error ; The file doesn't contain icons

  2. #2
    Professional User Mij's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Camberley, Surrey, UK
    Posts
    2,763
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores
    3

    Default

    That looks like a Windows error message. The icon that is normally attached to an Irfanview exe slideshow looks like this Name:  Icon.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  2.3 KB

    Has your slideshow perhaps lost that icon? It comes from the file Slideshow.exe that should be in your Irfanview plugins folder and it will not be able to find the icon again unless you still have that file on your system.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mij View Post
    That looks like a Windows error message. The icon that is normally attached to an Irfanview exe slideshow looks like this Name:  Icon.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  2.3 KB

    Has your slideshow perhaps lost that icon? It comes from the file Slideshow.exe that should be in your Irfanview plugins folder and it will not be able to find the icon again unless you still have that file on your system.
    Thanks for your help. The icon is available with the slideshow saved on my computer; however when I want to open/start the slide show via Irfanview the icon doesn't show up. If I want to open the slideshow directly from the computer (without Irfanview) the following error message appears: THis app does not work on your computer; contact your software provider to find a suitable version for your PC.
    I use Windows 8.1 , Irfanview 4.42

  4. #4
    Professional User Mij's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Camberley, Surrey, UK
    Posts
    2,763
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marion Schubert View Post
    Thanks for your help. The icon is available with the slideshow saved on my computer; however when I want to open/start the slide show via Irfanview the icon doesn't show up. If I want to open the slideshow directly from the computer (without Irfanview) the following error message appears: THis app does not work on your computer; contact your software provider to find a suitable version for your PC.
    I use Windows 8.1 , Irfanview 4.42
    OK Marion. Let me just check that I understand what you are saying correctly.

    When you say
    .. when I want to open/start the slide show via Irfanview the icon doesn't show up
    I assume you mean you open Irfanview and the Slideshow dialog and, with all the image files still listed in the "Slideshow files" pane, you press the "Play slideshow" button. If that is so then you would not see the icon. You are not using the exe file that the icon is attached to.
    I am also assuming that you checked before you made the exe file that the slideshow did display the images as you wanted to see them when you opened the slideshow that way.

    You presumably made the exe file from that dialog by pressing the "Save slideshow as EXE/SCR" button. During that process you would have been asked for the name you want to give the exe file and the folder to put it in. Where on your computer did you put it, and did any error messages appear while the exe file was being made. Now you can see the icon in the folder you put it in with the name you chose below it. Is that correct?

    When you try to run this exe file, probably by double clicking on it, you get the "This app does not work on your computer...". So what had you done to get the "Decode error; The file doesn't contain icons" message.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mij View Post
    OK Marion. Let me just check that I understand what you are saying correctly.

    When you say I assume you mean you open Irfanview and the Slideshow dialog and, with all the image files still listed in the "Slideshow files" pane, you press the "Play slideshow" button. If that is so then you would not see the icon. You are not using the exe file that the icon is attached to. Yes, I confirm
    I am also assuming that you checked before you made the exe file that the slideshow did display the images as you wanted to see them when you opened the slideshow that way. Yes, I confirm

    You presumably made the exe file from that dialog by pressing the "Save slideshow as EXE/SCR" button. During that process you would have been asked for the name you want to give the exe file and the folder to put it in. Where on your computer did you put it, and did any error messages appear while the exe file was being made. Now you can see the icon in the folder you put it in with the name you chose below it. Is that correct? Yes correct; I saved the slideshow on my computer by pressing the "save slideshow as EXE/SCR" button, no error message appeared when the exe file was saved.

    When you try to run this exe file, probably by double clicking on it, you get the "This app does not work on your computer...". Yes, correct So what had you done to get the "Decode error; The file doesn't contain icons" message.
    When I open Irfanview and click on "Open file" (top left) and then search and chose the exe file I saved on my computer; I chose my slideshow, but here the icon is not available; when I double click on the file the "Decode error; this file doesn't contain icons" pops up

    Please see my answer inserted in your e-mail ; thanks for your help

  6. #6
    Professional User Mij's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Camberley, Surrey, UK
    Posts
    2,763
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores
    3

    Default

    When I open Irfanview and click on "Open file" (top left) and then search and chose the exe file I saved on my computer; I chose my slideshow, but here the icon is not available; when I double click on the file the "Decode error; this file doesn't contain icons" pops up
    That explains why you got the message about icons.
    The purpose of the exe file is to allow you to run the slideshow without having Irfanview or any other image viewer present. It is not designed to be opened by Irfanview. However Irfanview does have the ability to extract any icons embedded in an exe file that you tell it to open. Try selecting the Irfanview exe file itself (i_view32.exe) and you can extract over 20 icons - use Page Up/Page Down arrows on toolbar to view them. That is why you get that error message if none can be found.

    So the real question is why you get the "This app does not work on your computer" message when you double click on the exe file. I no longer have a copy of Win 8.1, but have no problem running exe slideshow files made by Irfanview in Win10.

    You did not say where on your computer you put the exe file. Protected areas like the Program Files folder, or indeed anywhere that you do not have full read and write access to, might possibly cause problems if you have put it there.
    Last edited by Mij; 12.12.2016 at 02:31 PM.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mij View Post
    That explains why you got the message about icons.
    The purpose of the exe file is to allow you to run the slideshow without having Irfanview or any other image viewer present. It is not designed to be opened by Irfanview. However Irfanview does have the ability to extract any icons embedded in an exe file that you tell it to open. Try selecting the Irfanview exe file itself (i_view32.exe) and you can extract over 20 icons - use Page Up/Page Down arrows on toolbar to view them. That is why you get that error message if none can be found.

    So the real question is why you get the "This app does not work on your computer" message when you double click on the exe file. I no longer have a copy of Win 8.1, but have no problem running exe slideshow files made by Irfanview in Win10.

    You did not say where on your computer you put the exe file. Protected areas like the Program Files folder, or indeed anywhere that you do not have full read and write access to, might possibly cause problems if you have put it there.
    I filed it on "My images", which is not restricted; I thought probably my slideshow is too heavy (4GB) and therefore the error message appears "Does not work on your computer"

    Thanks for your help and patience Mij, I understand; please see my reply inserted in your message (in red)

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marion Schubert View Post
    I filed it on "My images", which is not restricted; I thought probably my slideshow is too heavy (4GB) and therefore the error message appears "Does not work on your computer"

    Thanks for your help and patience Mij, I understand; please see my reply inserted in your message (in red)
    I now succeeded to start the slideshow which I saved on my computer as exe file. However the mp3 music files are not played. The following error message appears: Windows can't play this file; Windows error text: C:\ ........mp3. Who has an idea how to solve this? I use Windows 8.1 and Irfanview 4.42

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •