File Types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File Types

Hi, I installed Irfanview to help me reduce the size of some photos for use on a Web site but I think I may have made a mistake when installing it because some of my file types have changed.

For example, all the JPEG files on my desktop show are described in the type column as being Irfanview JPEG files. The same goes for GIF, PNG and MP3 files.

Does this mean that these files will only open if I have Irfanview installed?
    If I copy the files onto a flash disk and try to open them on another device does that device need Irfanview installed to be able to open the files?

I suppose to put it simply my question is what is the difference between a JPEG file type and an Irfanview JPEG type and can I reverse the process?

Thanks

It's just a question of which program you want to open files with when you double-click them in Windows Explorer. The files are unchanged and will open in any suitable program.

To change file associations back to some other program use "Default Programs" in Windows System settings.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thank you so much. I feel more comfortable after reverting back to my old file associations but shall continue to use Irfanview if and when required.

Comment

Now you can get back to your christmas pud

Comment

Working...
        X