Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[4.44] Slow response on file open, drag & drop, rename...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported [4.44] Slow response on file open, drag & drop, rename...

Hello,

Since I migrated to version 4.44, I have very slow operating system responses on all file types associated to Irfanview (JPG, PNG, etc.) whenever I want to open, drag & drop, rename, etc. such file types. I did not have that problem with version 4.42.

Your Operating System, and IrfanView version number: Windows 10 64-bit, Irfanview 4.44 64-bit
    Your hardware specification: Lenovo T530, dual i5-6300 CPU @ 2.4 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD
    A clear step-by-step recipe to reproduce the bug reliably. Without this, no one can confirm the bug, and no one can fix a bug that cannot be reproduced:
    - With any file type associated to Irfanview, right-click on the file name to rename that file: it takes several seconds for the file name to be selected. On other file types it is immediate.
    - With any file type associated to Irfanview, left-click on the file name and drag it in another window: nothing happens unless you keep the mouse pointer on that file for several seconds.
    A screenshot or error message, if it is relevant: not applicable
    A problematic file that causes the crash or error message, or a link to such a file: any JPG or PNG or GIF file (I have not tried with any other image format)

Note: I do not have that problem on file types not associated to Irfanview. Further, if I associate image file types to an application other than Irfanview (MS Paint for instance), then the problem disappears

Can you help?

Thank you,

Pascal.

Hi Pascal,

I can't reproduce your bug on Win 7 x64 with the 32 bit version of IV4.44.
    And I haven't had this problem yet. But it seems to be a Windows 10 problem since right clicking on a file without any IrfanView open will not start IV, this is completely handled by Winodws itself. Or an antivirus tool.

Regards
    Nils

Comment

Hi Nils and thank you for your answer.

I've managed to fix the issue by registering the image file types to another application (through an "Open with..." Windows command) and registering again these file types to IrfanView. I guess something went wrong when upgrading from v4.42 to v4.44... The problem is fixed now!

Thanks,

Pascal.

Comment

Windows 10 is a nightmare. Every new update seems to change what you can and cannot do. I noticed that I can no longer make Irfanview the default from the "Open With" option as I used to do, nor can I from the Irfanview Options/Properties menu even if I use "Run as Administrator" to start the program.

However the options from Control panel have improved. Open "Control Panel" (from Windows key+X menu, if you have a Windows key on your keyboard) and select "Programs". Under "Default programs" we now have "Set your default programs". Select that and click on Irfanview in the list. Then you have a window just like the familiar one from Irfanview where you can set the Associations, and it works.

Comment

Working...
        X