Need to make jpg file larger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to make jpg file larger

i need to make a jpg 560 KB and tried using the riot plugin but it only bumps it up to 400 something KB. ive also tried adding a bunch of spam to the jpg attributes such as tags and stars

The Riot plugin is usually used to reduce the file size, not to increase it. I was able to increase a 420kB jpg to 560kB without problem using it though. When I saved the original at maximum quality (100) instead, it got to 925kB. I would not expect Riot to go any larger than that.

Comment

This is a strange request. Why do you need to make the file size bigger?
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
        This is a strange request. Why do you need to make the file size bigger?
        because the existing file I want to replace needs to be the same amount or the program realizes its not the original.

Comment

sorry should have mentioned earlier that the jpg is 1136 x 470 so without riot its only 200KB , is their a riot plugin for PNG? maybe I could get away with renaming the extention once it hits 760KB

Comment

Originally posted by Ayex247 View Post
            because the existing file I want to replace needs to be the same amount or the program realizes its not the original.
            I don't think that you will ever be able to modify a raster image file size with any accuracy.

You can calculate a lossless file ( TGA ) size based on it's image size. My current setup for TGA files uses 18 bytes for the header and 3 bytes per pixel. -David

Comment

Are you sure that the program is actually testing file size to decide that it's not the original, or is it just looking at time and date stamps, image dimensions in pixels, or something else?

I suggest contacting the program's author if you want to modify a splash screen or something else.
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

is their a riot plugin for PNG?
                I f you have not already discovered the Riot plugin is also used when you select File >Save for Web, and there you can see more clearly what it is doing to JPEG files when attempting to resize the file and what can be achieved by changing to PNG or GIF. (Hint: If you get into changing color depth choose the Xiaolin Wu option to experiment with. The Neuquant option can take forever.)
                As others have said you will probably never be able to accurately match the size of your original file.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                  Are you sure that the program is actually testing file size to decide that it's not the original, or is it just looking at time and date stamps, image dimensions in pixels, or something else?

I suggest contacting the program's author if you want to modify a splash screen or something else.
                  yes its compressed and read out of a zip but because the other files are important it thinks something is wrong

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                  I f you have not already discovered the Riot plugin is also used when you select File >Save for Web, and there you can see more clearly what it is doing to JPEG files when attempting to resize the file and what can be achieved by changing to PNG or GIF. (Hint: If you get into changing color depth choose the Xiaolin Wu option to experiment with. The Neuquant option can take forever.)
                  As others have said you will probably never be able to accurately match the size of your original file.

thanks I will try that, if not I will try approaching the problem from another angle
                  Last edited by Ayex247; 04.01.2017, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X