Selection edge bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forwarded Selection edge bug

Just noticed this. The cursor doesn't change to the 'drag' cursor on the edge of the selection when heavily zoomed in (seemingly only bottom and right edge)

Steps to reproduce:

Load image (tried it on jpg and png).
    Zoom to 1200% or more.
    Create selection.
    Move cursor to bottom or right edge of selection.
    Cursor doesn't change to the 'drag' arrow till it is past the edge of the selection.

I know it sound like a minor issue, but I discovered it when trying to create an exact selection a few pixels in from the edge of the image and finding I could not drag the selection at all (it turns out because the 'grab' area was off the edge of the screen), which is more than a minor issue.

Using Win7 Home, Irfanview 4.44 32bit

Confirmed, but easy to work around. Resize the opposite edge of the selection, and move the selection with the right mouse button.

Or, press Shift C, and adjust the size of the custom selection.

Anyway, I will forward a report to Irfan Skiljan to see if he can fix it.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

It seems to only be the very last pixel of the image where you cannot pick up the edge of the selection and drag it. Remember that at 1200% zoom one pixel of the image is 12 pixels wide on the screen.

Another easy workaround if you are too close to the right hand side of the image, is to hold down the Ctrl key and drag the bottom edge of the selection down. The right hand edge moves out with it. Then take you finger off the Ctrl key and move the bottom edge back to where it was. Too close to the bottom, drag the right hand edge instead.

Comment

Bug still present. Unfixable?

Comment

I doubt if it's unfixable, just not worth the time and effort required. Bugs are not worth fixing if:

• There is an easy workaround
          • They affect very few users
          • They require significant changes that would break something else
          Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 03.03.2018, 01:01 PM.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The workarounds that have been suggested are quite easy to use if you are only doing it a few times. If I wanted to do it a lot of times at zoom 1200% I would add a border of 2 pixels all around the image using the Image> Canvas size feature. It is then easy to set a selection side to where you think the edge of the original image is. To check if you have the correct position you can easily pick up the side and move it to the outer edge of the border. Then as long as you have not released the mouse button you can move it back 2 steps and be confident that you have found the true edge of the original image. When you have finished use Edit> Auto-crop borders (Ctrl+Shift+Y) to remove the border again.
            Last edited by Mij; 03.03.2018, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X