Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens to EXIF data after batch-resizing pictures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved What happens to EXIF data after batch-resizing pictures?

Hello

To save time uploading pictures to Google Photos, I use IrfanView to batch-resize pictures.

But, like others, I noticed that Google Photos didn't sort files by their filename. I figured maybe it was because after resizing, the files all had the same timestamp, so I used BulkFileChanger to increment each file datestamp by one second, to no avail.

Then I found this post on the Net:
    Google photos sort by date taken inside the EXIF TAG, if there is no Date Taken in exif tag then in will sort by the FILE modified date
    it's the same when you manually directly upload using browser or upload it by the google photo backup

So I'd like to know 1) what happens to EXIF data after using IrfanView to batch-resize a bunch of pictures, and 2) if IrfanView just deletes this data, how to put it back like it was before running the batch, so that files would be sorted correctly in Google Photos.

Thank you.
    Last edited by yetanotherlogin; 14.01.2017, 06:34 PM.

Did you try available options and found some not working as expected?

Click image for larger version

Name:	jpg_opt.png
Views:	1
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	81558 Click image for larger version

Name:	jpg_opt2.png
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	81559

When necessary, you can copy metadata from originals using ExifTool or ExifToolGUI.
    IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by yetanotherlogin View Post
      So I'd like to know 1) what happens to EXIF data after using IrfanView to batch-resize a bunch of pictures, and 2) if IrfanView just deletes this data, how to put it back like it was before running the batch, so that files would be sorted correctly in Google Photos.
      If you want to keep the Exif data then click on Options after you have selected JPG as the output format and make sure that "Keep original EXIF data" is checked.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Keep Exif data.jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	81560

Comment

Thanks much!

Comment

Working...
        X