Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Batch-Renaming wildcard "$X" for directory index does not work

Hi,

the $X wildcard does not have any effect in the new filenames. Instead, there will be nothing/empty.

My usecase:
    I want to use this for renaming multiple folders with images inside within one go.
    Therefore i need wildcard $X to have the directory index for every folder beginning with 1. If i use #, then the enumeration will be over all directories.
    So the file name pattern looks like:
    $d $X.$O
    And I choose "Rename Input Files (own risk!)" on renaming options dialogue.
    Target directory: empty.

I have Win7, 64bit, Irfanview 4.44(32bit).

Can anyone confirm this?

$X does not work like that and it is not a unique number anyway.

In the image below I have set $X to be shown in the status bar and you can see how it is displayed there. It is only the index number anyway for where it currently lies in the set of files that have been loaded into Irfanview (which may or may not be a whole directory). If I set "Sort directory files.." to put the files in a different sort order then the index number would change too.

So it would make no sense to use it in batch renaming even if it were allowed.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Directory index.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	81567

Comment

Ahh, ok, thanks for making the wildcard $X more clear to me! The slash / explains why it results in empty space, couse its forbidden filename character.

But.. as long as we do not change the directory contents, or do not change the sort order in IrfanView... the index would stay consistent. So... i think its pretty nice to be "abused" for my usecase!

Don't you agree that such a wildcard (directory index) would be pretty nice for the Irfan View Users world??

Comment

No, I think you have missed the point.
        Irfanview does not process a directory in the Batch process. It processes a list of files which could all be in different directories. To do what you suggest the program would have to download the whole directory for each file and sort the contents into the required order so that it could determine what the required directory index is.

Comment

No no .. I'm with you. Of course, if we would have a wildcard for the index, the whole directory has to be downloaded and sorted as per Irfan Views setting (e.g. by Change-Date oder EXIF-Date). I'm aware of that.
          Do you have doubts regading performance? Me not. It would be so powerfull, because then we can add a lot of directories, and make Irfan View to rename everey derectory from 1...Number-of-Elements.
          I think this is a common usecase... Taking some pictures over more than 1 day > Copy whole memory card to hard disk > move every event into a seperate folder > Rename each folder files with an consecutive index that beginns with 1.

Until now, we have to perform the renaming procedure with every folder seperately..

And that is why I would be thrilled about that feature becoming available. Apart from that, everything is yet possible with Irfan View

Comment

Working...
          X