Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Image size gets larger when copy-paste from IV 64-bit to Word?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image size gets larger when copy-paste from IV 64-bit to Word?

Hi!

I've used IrfanView for some years and feel quite familiar with how it works and it´s settings, but now when I got a new computer I cannot find a way to copy a picture from IrfanView and paste it into Word with the image size preserved? When I paste the image in Word it always gets larger. It´s the same if I copy the whole image or just a selection of it. If I first paste into Ms Paint and then copy from paint and paste into Word the size is preserved correctly? I have tried the different paste alternatives in word "Paste special..." but no alternative gives the original size when copy from IrfanView. When I check the size of the picture in Word it says 100%. Sins I get the expected result when copy-paste from MS Paint to Word, is there a setting in IrfanView that I´m missing? The following picture shows the difference in size after pasting into Word. The smaller picture is correct size and the larger picture is when pasting from IrfanView. I've also tried the 32-bit version with the same result.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	CopyPasteIVWord.png
Views:	1
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	84869

Best regards

/Tomas

IV: 4.44 - 64 bit
    Word: MS Office Professional Plus 2013
    Last edited by Toma; 20.01.2017, 01:33 PM.

Experiment with changing the image resolution in the Image Information dialogue before copying it. Applications should paste the image at the size determined by this setting, e.g. an 1800 pixel wide image @ 300 dpi should paste at 6" wide. If the resolution is changed to 150 dpi it would paste at 12" or at the full width of the page.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      Experiment with changing the image resolution in the Image Information dialogue before copying it. Applications should paste the image at the size determined by this setting, e.g. an 1800 pixel wide image @ 300 dpi should paste at 6" wide. If the resolution is changed to 150 dpi it would paste at 12" or at the full width of the page.

Hi!

Thank´s for the answer! When I check the Information dialogue the resolution is empty (see attached image below)?
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	1
Size:	365.9 KB
ID:	81580
      1. I'm using "Print Screen".
      2. Then paste in IrfanView.
      3. Select a portion of the picure and copy.
      4. Then paste in Word.

The resolution in IrfanView is also empty when opening a saved image? If I change the resolution the result of pasting in Word changes, but it seems hard to find the right resolution and it seems wrong to have to set the resolution every time? Copy paste has never been a problem before? Any idéa?

Best regards

/Tomas

Comment

It is a bad policy to use cut and paste at all.

Save images to disk with the desired compression, and insert them into other applications, linking to the file on disk. Save images in a project folder, and back them up with the project. Pasting images increases the word-processor file size quite unnecessarily. If you paste a lot of images, this will result in slow file/load behaviour, and might corrupt files if power off too early before a long save process has completed.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

It is a bad policy to use cut and paste at all.

Save images to disk with the desired compression, and insert them into other applications, linking to the file on disk. Save images in a project folder, and back them up with the project. Pasting images increases the word-processor file size quite unnecessarily. If you paste a lot of images, this will result in slow file/load behaviour, and might corrupt files if power off too early before a long save process has completed.
          Thank´s for the insight on linking files. However using copy paste in this case is a conscious choice. Any idea why the resolution is empty (or any other tips on the problem)?

Comment

Originally posted by Toma View Post
            Thank´s for the insight on linking files. However using copy paste in this case is a conscious choice. Any idea why the resolution is empty (or any other tips on the problem)?
            The DPI is empty because you pasted data from the Windows clipboard. Printscreen and paste into IrfanView will not have any DPI because it's not a file.

If you make a conscious choice to use this method then you have to accept its limitations.

Save to file will compress the data, linking image files will mean that data is not duplicated, and will be updated when the linked content is updated. Your choice, but a poor one in my opinion.
            Attached Files

Comment

The DPI is empty because you pasted data from the Windows clipboard. Printscreen and paste into IrfanView will not have any DPI because it's not a file.
              Sorry to disagree but I do not think that is right. Many of my files do not have figures for Resolution. In fact the only ones that do have entries are jpeg files where the figures come from Exif data, newly scanned files where the figures come from the scanner or ones for which I have entered figures manually.

I have always understood that those Resolution figures were only used when printing images, allowing the required image print size to be set in cms or inches instead of in pixels.

Copy and Paste images always have sides measured in pixels only. If you copy an 800x600 pixel image for instance the pasted image will also be 800x600, regardless of what print resolution is specified. So the observed size of a pasted image is just a function of the monitor screen pixel resolution and the zoom ratio (magnification).

If it is pasted into Word however then it is quite possible that Word has resized/resampled the image to fit it to the screen or a text box.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                Sorry to disagree but I do not think that is right.
                The DPI will be empty unless you set it. Scanning an image sets the DPI, exporting from PagePlus etc., sets the DPI, Converting from PNG to JPG using IrfanView sets the DPI. Saving from the Internet from a browser will use the DPI set in the original image. Taking a screen shot of it or copying an image to the clipboard will not.

The dpi is used by Word and PagePlus to set the size on the page. If none is set, Word probably assumes 72, 96, or maybe 1 dpi, then fits it to the margins if it's too big.An 1800 x 1200 pixel image print @ 300 dpi will be placed at 6" x 4", but if the dpi is only 150 it will be placed at 12" x 8" (margins permitting).

Comment

Hi!

Thank´s for helping. I just found out that if I use Alt+PrtScr to capture a small window and directly paste it into word gives the same (enlarged size) result (not involving IrfanView at all). So therefore I conclude that this has nothing to do with IrfanView. If I first paste the screen shot into Paint and then copy paste to Word I get the right original size? So, maybe this is a Windows problem? Not sure what to think?

Best regards

/Tomas

Comment

I agree with your conclusion that it is not an Irfanview problem.
                    From browsing around on the net it appears to be a Word inconsistency problem. This seems to be the situation.
                    For editions of Word from 2010 onwards the image resolution can be set in the Word Options (I believe the default is 220 dpi). That is not necessarily the resolution at which you see it displayed, it may be adjusted to fit the available space, but is what will be saved and will be available for printing documents later.
                    Word 2007 (which I have) does not allow you to set it, but from tests it seems to default to about 150 dpi.
                    Earlier versions do appear to default to values like 96dpi when pasting from the clipboard. Some image formats, such as jpg, store a resolution value within the format which is used instead. The old doc format files though would save the image at the original resolution which could result in an excessively large file size.
                    Last edited by Mij; 08.02.2017, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X