How to fit canvas to image size by default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to fit canvas to image size by default

Whenever I open Irfanview, I need the canvas to fit the image size by default (view attached image). How do I do this? I never want to see black canvas on either side of the image. And I don't want to crop the image each time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	2
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	84874

You can use Autocrop (Ctrl Shift Y) but there is no command line option to launch IrfanView with that command. Anyway, on loading a new image that would have to be cropped.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Ctrl Shift Y doesn't solve my problem because the black canvas doesn't change. I need to autofit the canvas size to perfectly match the image size. It's such a waste of my window space to have so much black canvas when I need to drag images around and look at other pics. The windows default pictureviewer program automatically fits canvas size to fit the image size, which is perfect. Are there any other programs that do this? Maybe this should go into the suggested features because I know a lot of people need this

Comment

I am a bit puzzled about what you mean by the canvas. In Irfanview "canvas" usually mean an empty area around the image inside the window it is being shown in. In the image you posted there is no canvas visible. The black area of screen that I can see is outside all the windows and I assume is the Desktop that you have set to show a single color background.
        Inside or outside though you cannot "fit the canvas". All you can do is set the window or windows so that you cannot see empty areas.
        Does your picture represent what you want it to look like or what you are currently getting?

Comment

Looks like a "snapped" IrfanView's window to me, a feature of Windows.

Name:	snap.png
Views:	1
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	81583
          Last edited by Jacal; 03.02.2017, 02:31 PM. Reason: typo
          IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
            I am a bit puzzled about what you mean by the canvas. In Irfanview "canvas" usually mean an empty area around the image inside the window it is being shown in. In the image you posted there is no canvas visible. The black area of screen that I can see is outside all the windows and I assume is the Desktop that you have set to show a single color background.
            Inside or outside though you cannot "fit the canvas". All you can do is set the window or windows so that you cannot see empty areas.
            Does your picture represent what you want it to look like or what you are currently getting?
            The picture represents what I want it to look like each time I open an image. I only want to see the image, and no black background. I want the window to fit to auto fit to image size.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuab View Post
              The picture represents what I want it to look like each time I open an image. I only want to see the image, and no black background. I want the window to fit to auto fit to image size.
              You're not making yourself clear. There is no black background in your screen shot, apart from a few pixels top and bottom.
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by joshuab View Post
                OK, that picture is very similar to what you would get by choosing Irfanview's "Fit to desktop" mode.
                You can select that from the "Display options (window mode)" dialog on the View menu. See below.

Name:	Fit to desktop.png
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	81587

If you want the window to stay in the middle of the screen as you open new images you need to check the box I have circled in the Viewing tab of Properties/Options. See below.

Name:	Center window.png
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	81588

See how you get on with that.

Comment

Working...
                X