Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accented characters in IPTC fields incorrectly displayed in full screen

Hi,

I am using version v4.44 32 bit of IrfanView (language setting: English) with plugin pack of the same version installed, on Win7 Prof SP1 (English).

I often add text to the Caption IPTC field of my photos:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	iview_write_iptc_caption.png
Views:	1
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	84878
    And I have Irfanview configured so that this text is displayed in Full screen mode:

Name:	iview_options.png
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	84879
    Unfortunately, in the current version the accented characters are displayed incorrectly in full screen mode:

Name:	iview_fullscreen_display_iptc_caption.png
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	84880

However, the text is displayed properly in the Image Properties / IPTC Info window, if checked after saving the file.

Here's the sample file:

Name:	2655_.jpg
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	84881

This used to work properly in the past, but got broken with one of the version updates.
    Unfortunately I can't tell exactly which was the first faulty version.

I've tried so far:
    - Enabling / disabling the "Load Unicode Plugin at startup" under Preferences / Language
    - Removing the Ansi2Unicode.dll plugin from the plugin library
    None of these helped.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

I love IrfanView otherwise, absolute super software, so I hope I can solve this issue somehow.

Thank you,
    Tibor

Hi!

With the last version, the metadata plugin - but not the whole program - was ported to unicode. The "Allow Unicode PlugIn to handle ... IPTC ..." was removed, IV is now always writing IPTC data in UTF-8, also adding the Iptc:Caption-Abstract:UTF8 tag, like most of modern software. But the "Show text" feature can not display this properly yet.

With previous versions, it was possible to write IPTC in ANSI (displayed properly, until you change Windows language settings or send the file abroad) or in UTF-8, but without the UTF8 tag (which caused some problems both in IV and when using other programs).

If I remember correctly, porting the whole program to unicode is one of Irfan's top priorities, but is also a huge task, that will take some time, and, possibly, versions.

So, if I am right, you can either stick with 4.43 or live with this issue for a while. (Or use some other tool, that is.)

I hope this helps, be well,

Mart
    IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Hi Mart,

thanks for explaining the situation!
      I guess I would roll back to version 4.43 for the time being.
      There's just a small problem with that: I've searched the web for the installer package for hours and it's nowhere to find. /

I'd need the installer for IrfanView v.4.43 (32 bit, English) + the complete plugin set installer for the same version.
      If anyone can help me with these, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,
      Tibor

Originally posted by Jacal View Post
      So, if I am right, you can either stick with 4.43 or live with this issue for a while. (Or use some other tool, that is.)

Comment

You can find some older versions on OldApp.com

We ought to have somewhere here for older installers so I have added this sticky thread
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 05.02.2017, 12:00 PM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Tibor, sorry,

I was misleading you, It looks that v. 4.43 was never officially released, so just follow b. Pesala's second link and take v. 4.42.

Mart
          IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Thank you!
            I've rolled back to v.4.42 (and of course updated my signature ;-)) and the issue is gone.
            I'll keep on eye on the new versions' release notes for the Unicode support.
            Keep up the good work!
            Best,
            Tibor

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
            We ought to have somewhere here for older installers so I have added this sticky thread

Comment

Working...
            X