Improve "Ask to overwrite file for save"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Improve "Ask to overwrite file for save"

Typically I use "Save as" to save changes to a new file and "Save" to update the current file. So I would like "Save as" to prompt me if I'm about to overwrite an existing file and "Save" not to. This is the common behavior for other editors. The option on the Misc 1 tab forces me to handle save and save as the same.

I think I understand why some users would not want IrfanView to overwrite on save. Example: going through the photos uploaded from a camera and making a set to print, email, etc. User wants to be sure that the original high resolution images aren't changed. I'm guessing that this is also when a user would want the "Display 'Save' dialog for File->Save" option.

A minor quibble, I think these two options belong on the "file handling" tab instead of "Misc 1".

I agree, it could be good to be able to have a warning for one but not the other.

You have a good "minor quibble" - the options are a bit of a maze!
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Yep. "Save As" should prompt for overwrite. "Save" should not.

Comment

Support.
        With the remark that sometimes "Saves As" will go as default to a different directory, as in the "Save" dialog.
        This depends on the latest used path in an IV-session. Maybe this needs some streamlining.

Quibble : Options contradictions indeed. I think it would be useful to gather those so far, and start a thread about it.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
        X