Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keep aspect ratio of Image during selection (ALT key)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Implemented Keep aspect ratio of Image during selection (ALT key)

When I want to crop my photos, I select part of the image and use Crop selection (Cut out) from Edit menu. I usually try to select part with the same aspect ratio as original image.
    It would be best if there will be option to keep aspect ratio of original image during selection. For example when I press ALT key during resize of the selection.
    Thanks

The Control key already does that.

First use Ctrl A to select all, then drag the edge of the selection while holding down Ctrl. Use right mouse button or the cursor keys to reposition the selection.

If you hold down Ctrl while first making a selection, it will have a square aspect ratio.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

From the manual:

Available selection rectangle shortcuts in IrfanView:

Left button click/hold/move Draw selection

CTRL + Left button click/hold/move Draw proportional selection with the ratio from "Create Custom selection" dialog

ALT + Left button click/hold/move Draw proportional selection with the inverted ratio from "Create Custom selection" dialog

Left button click Zoom into selection

CTRL + Left button click Clear selection

Right button click/hold/move Move selection

Arrows Move selection (if no scrollbars visible)

SHIFT + arrows Move selection

CTRL + arrows Proportional resize of the selection

ALT + arrows Change width/height of the selection
      And in the "Create Custom selection" dialog you have "Actual ratio (from image)"...

Can you add 1+1?

I tried, it's easy even if I create the custom selection with the defaults it suggests and then I drag it around and resize with Ctrl+left mouse button.

Edit: answered at the same time as @Bhikkhu Pesala

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
        The Control key already does that.

First use Ctrl A to select all, then drag the edge of the selection while holding down Ctrl. Use right mouse button or the cursor keys to reposition the selection.

If you hold down Ctrl while first making a selection, it will have a square aspect ratio.
        Good. Thank You

Comment

Working...
        X