No announcement yet.

How is "move to" F7 supposed to work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved How is "move to" F7 supposed to work?

I had a behavior that I liked and I'm not sure if it was bugged then or if it's bugged now, or if it changed, or I can change it or what.

When I hit F7 and see a list of locations, is that list supposed to be folder specific or system wide?

For me it used to be folder specific and I loved it. Like I'd hit F7 when looking at a photo on the desktop and I'd see one list of locations and then I'd hit F7 when looking at a folder in My Pictures and see a different list of locations.

Now I see the same list in/from both locations.

Can I change it back? What happened?

Thanks for the help. Sorry if this is covered somewhere else or it's in the wrong place or something. I looked in the version history and searched "move to" and "move" and "F7" and saw nothing relevant. Same with forum posts.

Please fill in your forum profile.

Maybe you are using both 32-bit and 64-bit versions? They have separate ini files, which is where the Move directories are saved.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      Please fill in your forum profile.

Maybe you are using both 32-bit and 64-bit versions? They have separate ini files, which is where the Move directories are saved.
      Thanks. Done.

But for now I was only asking the intended behavior, not troubleshooting anything yet because maybe it's not trouble. I still don't know if what I'm experiencing is intended or not.

Which is it? One list for all directories or lists per directory?
      Last edited by Innomen; 15.02.2017, 11:50 PM.

Comment

It's not a feature I have used much but it's the same in 4.38 as in 4.44

The Move directories are hard-wired initially to C:\TEMP for all fields, and can be changed by the user. The folders are stored in the ini file.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Since you don't seem to understand my question, I'm going to assume that it's supposed to be the same list of folders for all folders.

I guess I'll make it a feature request then. Thanks.

I can see why you don't use it. 14 folders total across the entire computer is nearly worthless.

But 14 folders possible for each folder on the other hand would be (and was briefly) great.

Comment

Originally posted by Innomen View Post
            Since you don't seem to understand my question, I'm going to assume that it's supposed to be the same list of folders for all folders.
            I understood your question just fine. I don't think the feature that you referred to ever existed, or it was so long ago that I have forgotten about it.

Originally posted by Innomen View Post
            I can see why you don't use it. 14 folders total across the entire computer is nearly worthless.
            You really have no clue why I don't use it. Fourteen folders are adequate for me if I do want to use it. I just don't keep adding new images that's all. Everything is saved to My Pictures, then deleted when I have finished with it. If I do want to keep it, then I just drag and drop it to my folders organized based on file type.
            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 16.02.2017, 12:43 AM.

Comment

You really have no clue why I don't use it.
              "I can see why" is a figure of speech, not a claim of being psychic. Not sure why you're being condescending suddenly.

In any case I have far more than 14 total destinations for images and I'd say most people who use a viewer as complex as IV do as well. Not that it matters either way.

I'm active on social media so I need quick access to images across a wide variety of topics. And the more specifically they are sorted the more usable my collection is as a communications tool.

I'm glad you're happy with your use case.

I'm not entirely.

Hence: https://irfanview-forum.de/showthrea...6426#post46426

Comment

Working...
              X