View IPTC data in NEF files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

View IPTC data in NEF files

I noticed I cannot inspect the IPTC data in my Nikon RAW files (.NEF format). I do get an IPTC option with .JPG files, though. Is it not possible for RAW files?

As far as I know, IrfanView can display IPTC data only for jpeg and tiff formats (for tiff it is read-only). It doesn't support XMP at all.

(Cameras and most programs don't write IPTC to raw photos anyway.)
    IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Well, I just bought the Nikon D500 and it allows me to set several IPTC presets and embed an IPTC preset in a .NEF (RAW) image. And paging through the pictures on the camera shows the IPTC settings I choose per image. I imagine it is a fairly new option then.

Comment

Even for a Photo-Editing application like Serif PhotoPlus RAW support for the latest cameras is hard to find. There are dozens of threads asking about RAW support for different camera models.

It is a forlorn hope to expect a freeware Image Viewer like IrfanView to support RAW properly, let alone from every new camera model. Use your camera or the software that came with it to save as JPG, or use a fully featured Photo-Editing program for working with RAW images.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I'm not familiar with Nikons, Canons write some EXIF metadata (owner, copyright ...) and the rating to XMP (as do some Nikons). I doubt that it actually writes to IPTC, could be XMP iptcCore tags. To avoid guessing, you can check this with ExifTool, or upload an expendable sample somewhere, and I'll look at it, if you want.

In any case, IrfanView will only show (some) EXIF data from a raw photo.

(And, by the way, I would avoid Nikon's software for metadata editing, it has a history of bugs, that made many photos unusable.)
          IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Thanks for your responses. I realize that it's a pretty big job for all imaging software, to keep up with latest versions of different cameras etc. It was just something that triggered me, inspecting all the features of my new camera For all other intent and purposes Irfanview still rocks for me!

Btw, I just checked using ExifTool and there I can see all the IPTC data I set (city etc.)! So, it's in the .NEF file, just a bit tricky to read it.
            Last edited by brekelm; 20.02.2017, 10:22 PM. Reason: More info

Comment

Enjoy, it looks to be a very fine camera!
              IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Working...
              X