Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Discover wrong suffix and covert to jpg

  1. #1
    IV Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9
    Version
    IrfanView 4.44
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores
    4

    Default Discover wrong suffix and covert to jpg

    As I experience Irfanview is able to recognize wrong suffixes and offers to rename the files in these cases.

    I probably have several of such files in my directory-structure of thousands of jpgs.
    I would like to convert those with wrong suffixes to jpgs without the need to open each individual file.

    Is there a way with irfanview and the commandline-options to build a script that works recursive on all folders, detects jpgs with wrong suffixes and covert them to jpgs?

  2. #2
    Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    6,037
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poldi View Post
    I would like to convert those with wrong suffixes to jpgs without the need to open each individual file.
    You don't need to open any of them. Just quickly scroll through each folder until you encounter an error, then allow IrfanView to rename the file.

  3. #3
    IV Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9
    Version
    IrfanView 4.44
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    You don't need to open any of them. Just quickly scroll through each folder until you encounter an error, then allow IrfanView to rename the file.
    What do you mean by scroll?
    I think Irfanview has to look into the pictures to decide if they have a suffix that does not match the format?

    By the way:
    I am am talking about pictures in more than 20.000 files in subfolders and even more subfolders because not every subfolder has a picture. So a batch possibility to check the files recursively would be very convenient.

  4. #4
    Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    6,037
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poldi View Post
    What do you mean by scroll?
    I think Irfanview has to look into the pictures to decide if they have a suffix that does not match the format?
    Browse the folder using the next/previous file buttons.

    Yes, IrfanView needs to look at the file, but you can browse a folder of 1000 images in a few minutes.

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scroll through directory.png 
Views:	310 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	4686  

  5. #5
    IV Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9
    Version
    IrfanView 4.44
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    Browse the folder using the next/previous file buttons.

    Yes, IrfanView needs to look at the file, but you can browse a folder of 1000 images in a few minutes.
    Yes, I thought that you were referring to this feature but it is not really an alternative for my situation.
    I don't have only some folders with thousands of images in them. I have thousands of folders with only 1-8 images in each folder and in a folder-structure of 3-4 levels.
    It is the folder-structure of my music-library with images of artists and coverart in folders.

  6. #6
    Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    6,037
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores
    1

    Default

    1. Open the thumbnail viewer
    2. Options, Load thumbnails from all subfolders
    3. Press and hold the Ctrl Right Cursor shortcut.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •