Slideshow fullscreen on HDMI monitor stacks multiple photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bug Slideshow fullscreen on HDMI monitor stacks multiple photos

Win 10 HP Omen laptop, Irfanview V4.42 and V4.44, using external Dell 22" monitor via HDMI cable

Each "next" JPG is stacked on top of the previous JPG so the edges of all previous photos are always visible. Also the photo pathnames at top appear to be stacked, not renewed for each photo.
    Problem only occurs on my external monitor (above). No problem visible on laptop screen, where I see one and only one photo as expected.

To clarify, this problem is not seen if all the pictures in a directory are the same size and have the same length title strings.

But my selection in this IrfanView slide show happens to contain many scanned snapshots of various sizes, and with long and short title strings.
    So the repeatable problem here is that a small photo is displayed over the previous larger photo, obscuring its outline. Likewise, the edges of the largest photo persist throughout the slideshow.
    Similarly, the longest title string persists at top, and is partially overwritten by shorter ones.

Simply put, in this problem the previous photo and title are not blanked before showing the next.

As stated, the problem is only seen in Full Screen mode, and only on my external Dell 22" monitor via HDMI cable. There is no problem at all on my HP Omen laptop screen showing the same slideshow.

I have been doing similar slideshows for over 10 years (gratefully!) with IrfanView, and I only just noticed this problem running under the new HP Omen with Win 10 and HDMI cable to the Dell Monitor. (Previous laptop had Win 7, connected to the same monitor via VGA cable, and never showed this problem).

Also I showed the same slideshow on a large flat screen TV via different HDMI cable and did not notice the problem. So it may have to do with how my Dell 22" monitor is configured.

Comment

Hello,
      I have the same problem, only in the Version 442 or 444 not in 441.
      I have also a second screen, a large flat screnn, but I don't test it on the first.

Comment

I have just installed IrfanView 4.50 32-bit on my new laptop (Lenovo T470, Windows 10, Display 1920x1080) and I have the same problem with Full Screen mode.

Screen is not cleared when moving to the next screen. Moreover, if I try to reduce the scale of image ("-") in full screen mode, I see a previous picture "remnants" surrounding the current picture.

Bug occurs on laptop, no external monitor is connected.

I have used IrfanView for many years on different laptops including external monitors, and never had a problem like this. Is there a chance that this bug will be processed? I can provide some screenshots if necessary.
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 07.11.2017, 06:19 AM.

Comment

I am not able to reproduce it. A screen shot (Alt PrintScreen) of your Fullscreen settings would be more useful than one of the effects of the bug, which we can imagine easily.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks. Still not able to reproduce it though.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

So in this situation I should look for another image browser?

Comment

You can send a report to Irfan Skiljan (Help, About IrfanView).

Let us know what he says.

Comment

Done. Let's see what will be the feedback.

Comment

Fast response from the author. Problem solved!

Solution not obvious but works:
                    1) New small laptops with high resolution have factory settings of Windows to upscale DPI (150%) to make the fonts visible.
                    2) Unless it is changed to 100%, it generates the issue described above
                    3) To keep upscaling > 100%, and locally fix the issue, you need to:
                    - find the "i_view32.exe" file (usually in "c:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView")
                    - show "Properties" of this file
                    - select Tab "Compatibility"
                    - enable the option: "Override DPI scaling" = "use Application"

Comment

Thanks for letting us know.

Comment

Highlander, thank you so much! The solution is perfect.
                        I use IrfanView all day for many things but had given up on the SlideShow feature due to this problem, until today.

Comment

Originally posted by DougInAmbler View Post
                          Highlander, thank you so much! The solution is perfect.
                          I use IrfanView all day for many things but had given up on the SlideShow feature due to this problem, until today.
                          Happy to hear that Most credits go to Irfan, I have just described his solution to this issue.

Comment

I confirm that the solution described by Highlander still works in 2021 (Windows 10 OMEN laptop connected via DisplayPort to 4K LG external monitor).
                            Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X