X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems upgrading over old version, then won't uninstall

Using Vista x64 SP2; installing Iview 4.44
    Suggestions on how to proceed here?

I understood new Irfanview versions would install to the previous version's folder w/o problems.
    4.44 did install over v4.38. Seems to have installed / run OK, but apparently didn't remove some things from previous version.

Then it had problems installing latest Iview plugins, so tried to uninstall IV and start fresh.
    Iview didn't appear as an installed program in Control Panel, but it starts & seems to run OK.
    IV_uninstall.exe won't run. Not from a std user or admin acct. The message is, "Can't read Irfanview uninstall registry info! Irfanview is not normally installed or permission problems."

An indication: it left an old startup icon for the previous Iview version in Start > Programs, and added the icon for v4.44 (all in same Irfanview shortcuts folder).
    Both of those shortcuts point to i_view32.exe v4.4.4.0. That's not terrible, but a sign things didn't go quite right.
    All my apps are installed to D:, not C:\ - the OS partition.

Another thing - from a std user acct, when double clicked iview444_setup.exe, it did not ask for elevated permission. It should.
    That may indicate it wasn't writing anything to registry (by design or mistake)? But then it complains it can't read registry uninstall info.
    All other prgms that install - do ask, unless they're portable & just extracting the files. Even if logged into an admin acct, installers ask to confirm the operation.

Should I just delete the D:\program files folder where the files are? I may have to run a registry cleaner for orphaned Irfanview entries, so they don't conflict w/ the next installation & operation, file associations, etc. Others on the forum have said ~ "Iview doesn't write much to the registry." If true & it doesn't use registry entries for uninstalling, then why would it complain that it "can't read uninstall registry info?"

Thanks.
Working...
X