Version 4.44 32-bit - will not install in WinXP SP2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Version 4.44 32-bit - will not install in WinXP SP2

Hi...just trying to upgrade from v4.42 on WinXP and Setup file will not run. Previous version 4.42 install fine.
    Have the requirements changed in some way?

Thanks

Not unless you're trying to install the 64-bit version by mistake.

IrfanView is a very fast, small, compact and innovative FREEWARE (for non-commercial use) graphic viewer for Windows 9x, ME, NT, 2000, XP, 2003 , 2008, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hmmm...it's a puzzle - it's version 4.44 32-bit - am sure of that. When I click on 4.42 installer, it opens right away. The v. 4.44 does not, but.
      triggers IE for some reason, but nothing happens, after that.

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      Not unless you're trying to install the 64-bit version by mistake.
      [/B]

Comment

Try the download from the IrfanView Help page in my forum signature. You will also find links to older versions there if you need them.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Downloaded from the Help page - same result. As I pointed out before, the previous version 4.42 installs fine. Something must have changed in v 4.44.
          One correction, when I click on installer it's IE that is triggered, but Windows Explorer wants to connect to internet. I get that message from firewall.

Try the download from the IrfanView Help page in my forum signature. You will also find links to older versions there if you need them.

Comment

Correction, Win Explorer want to connect to internet, not IE. I earlier said it triggered IE - that is not correct.

Comment

Installed without problems on XP SP3.
              IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

I suspect there's been a change and now WinXP SP3 is checked for. If that is the case, it should have been documented with change notes.
                It's still claimed that Irfanview works with Win98, ME, etc - this was perhaps true for earlier versions, but no longer.

Originally posted by Jacal View Post
                Installed without problems on XP SP3.

Comment

It works with Windows XP. It doesn't claim to work with SP2. I don't think it should work, developer's time is valuable.
                  IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by photonak View Post
                    Downloaded from the Help page - same result. As I pointed out before, the previous version 4.42 installs fine. Something must have changed in v 4.44.
                    One correction, when I click on installer it's IE that is triggered, but Windows Explorer wants to connect to internet. I get that message from firewall.
                    Please post a screen shot of your Firewall's message.

Comment

... or get the .zip files from the IrfanView website instead of running the .exe installs.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

It's typical: that Windows Explorer wants to connect to internet.
                        I've seen it before, when trying to install an app that is written for WinXP SP3.
                        I've attached the message - not sure. But puzzles me that if v 4.44 is for SP3, it was not noted in revision notes.
                        It takes about 10 sec to type that :-)

Please post a screen shot of your Firewall's message.
                        Attached Files

Comment

And if you let it access the Internet, what happens next?

Comment

Thanks Jazzman..it worked. So IView works fine with WinXP SP2, but the installer does not like SP2. I just dropped all the files on top of v4.42 and same for plugins.

Originally posted by jazzman View Post
                            ... or get the .zip files from the IrfanView website instead of running the .exe installs.

Comment

Nothing. I first thought it was asking for IE to connect, which I do not use. I corrected myself.

And if you let it access the Internet, what happens next?

Comment

Working...
                              X