Problem with PNG images?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Problem with PNG images?

Sometimes I save images from e-mails and websites to my PC hard drive, and most of them are originally JPG files.

I have the Save as/Save Picture As... > Save as Type option in IrfanView set to PNG. And sometimes I edit some of these downloaded JPG images in IV (mostly crop) then save them as PNG.

A few days ago I noticed that these JPG images saved by IV as PNG images appeared as if they had some kind of "sepia effect" applied to them, when viewed as thumbnails in Windows Explorer and via XnShell.

So I made this test: I saved two images from an e-mail as JPG then saved them as PNG using both IV and Paint. The results you see in the image (link below).

What is causing that in IrfanView? TIA.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 06.03.2017, 05:50 PM. Reason: Attached Image
    Desktop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i7 • 12 GB RAM
    Laptop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i5 • 6 GB RAM
    IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

Have you enabled Colour Management in Settings?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      Have you enabled Colour Management in Settings?
      No, it's not enabled.
      IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

Comment

I attached your image from Tinypic to your first post. It is a PNG with incorrect extension, but that should not affect the colours.

I cannot reproduce the problem. I cropped Image 1 and Image 2 from your original and saved them as PNG images. I see no change of colours.

Check your PNG save options.
        Attached Files
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Sorry there was that trouble with the image from TinyPic. I tried to upload it using the "Insert Image > From Computer" option here, but although I can select an image, no "OK" button appears for me to send it.

My PNG options had "Save Transparent Color", "Save Transparency as Alpha channel" and "Use main window color for transparency" checked. I unchecked them all and the problem is gone.

Now I am curious to know why that happens with these options on. Thanks again.
          IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

Comment

Working...
          X