Videos in Slideshow steal window focus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Videos in Slideshow steal window focus

On windows 7, when a video starts in slideshow mode, fullscreen or not, the irfanview window sends an update thing (flashing orange taskbar icon), and will sometimes also steal focus. Whether it steals focus or not seems to be triggered by something which will remain in effect until a full restart of the computer. Sometimes it's in effect from the start. Needless to say this is not something you want a slideshow running on the side to be doing. I've also tested other software that play media file playlists using directshow in case that is somehow the origin of the issue, but no, irfanview only.

I don't understand what the problem is that you're describing.

There's an option on the Options menu for IrfanView to be "Always on top." This will keep a slideshow playing on top of all other windows, which is to be expected.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      I don't understand what the problem is that you're describing.

There's an option on the Options menu for IrfanView to be "Always on top." This will keep a slideshow playing on top of all other windows, which is to be expected.
      It's stealing focus, that's the problem. The thing where a window becomes the active one forcefully, receiving inputs, and going in the foreground. Clearly not intended behavior.

Comment

I fail to see why the slideshow should not initially be focused. Why do you think this is a bug?
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          I fail to see why the slideshow should not initially be focused. Why do you think this is a bug?
          Where did I say anything like "initially"? It's stealing focus every time a video loads, when the slideshow is not the active window. You can't steal focus if you already have it. Do I need to link a wikipedia article too?

Comment

That's why I said that I didn't understand the problem that you're reporting.

If I play a slideshow that includes a WMV video, then it will steal focus when the video loads. Then if I give focus back to the background window, I can continue working until the video loads again.

When a regular image loads, focus is not lost.

The slideshow needs the VIDEO.DLL plugin to load for it to play videos.

I suggest sending an email to Irfan Skiljan (Help menu, About IrfanView). Let us know what he says and I will update the thread.

Comment

Working...
            X