Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shell extension

Hi,

Some time back, I contacted Irfan with a request I had with the shell extension.

As you can see, I asked that .ico be added to the convert menu.

However, at the present time, none of the shell menu options work.

I'd like it repaired, including the .ico addition.

thanks
    Attached Files

I just installed the shell extension. It works fine for me.

Edit: Maybe I spoke too soon. It worked the first time to convert a PNG to an ICO. Now it does nothing at all.

Edit Again: Now it's working again after I reinstalled IrfanView 4.44 32-bit
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 09.03.2017, 09:46 PM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Since my shell extension is customized, I tried to install the default shell extension. No change, and it still showed the .ico entry.

I tried to used uninstall.bat, so I could install the default extension fresh, but I got this error.

Is there a way to uninstall? Where do I go from here?
      Attached Files

Comment

Did you read the text file?

- How to uninstall IrfanView Shell Extension?

1) Note for Windows Vista and later: Admin Rights are required!
        You have to start your file manager (like Windows Explorer, Total Commander etc.)
        in ADMIN mode
        (right mouse button click on program, then "Run as administrator".
        2) Go to your IrfanView folder, subfolder: "Shell Extension" and choose your
        Windows system: 32 or 64 bit
        3) Start the file "uninstall.bat" to unregister the extension from context menu
        4) If you want to delete the "Shell Extension" folder, you have to restart Windows
        to unload/unlock the shell extension DLL file, then you can delete it

The error message means "Access denied," presumably because you're not running Explorer as admin.
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 09.03.2017, 10:51 PM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Now I get this
          Attached Files

Comment

Did you try rebooting and removing the ShellExtension folder?

Comment

I rebooted, removed the folder, checked the context menu (irfanview context menu item removed), installed with the installer (not zip), irfanview context menu reappeared.

But it does not function, that is, it does not respond to any menu selection.

Comment

Still working fine here: I converted a PNG to GIF, then converted the GIF to ICO, and the ICO to TIF.

What is your default application for opening the image type that you're trying to convert to icons?

Comment

Maybe you noticed my other post about file associations. That's another issue I'm concerned about.

I just associated irfanview with .gif, but the context menu is still unresponsive.

Id really rather use irfanview portable than the installer, but do you think it would make a difference?
                  Last edited by kltpzyxmrm; 11.03.2017, 12:59 AM.

Comment

I finally decided to use the irfanview installer. Along the way I was taken to "Set your default Programs", selected Irfanview, and now the shell extension is working fine, and the .ico files thumbnail is not replaced by the irfanview icon, which is what happened when I tried to associate it with irfanview when using the portable program.

Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                    X